[Idiom] We are sold out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jiamajia

Member Type
Student or Learner
I recall an occasion in the US when I called a hotel to book a room. The person at the other end said, ' Sorry, we are sold out for the day . '

I immediately understood it to be there was no availability, but I learned another way on how to use the phrase 'be sold out' other than the meaning of 'be betrayed'. ( The striking part is we are sold out, not the rooms are sold out.)

Does BrE have the same definition as 'no availability'? Thank you.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Yes. In the sentence 'We are sold out' the 'no availability' meaning is stronger. In the other case, it would be 'We have been sold out', or 'Someone's sold us out' or 'those b@*&@*&s have [gone and] sold us out'. ;-)

b

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I find the use of "sold out" rather strange when talking about hotel rooms! I would expect the receptionist to say "I'm sorry, we're full that night".

I would use "sold out" when talking about individual physical items when there are none left. I would also use "have" not "are".

Do you have any bread rolls?
Sorry, we have sold out.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
On reflection, I agree. Somewhere that pre-sells bookings might say 'sold out' (say, a rock venue or a theatre) but a hotel would normally just be "full".

b

Status
Not open for further replies.