• Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

get it together

At last, the four of us got (it) together and painted the house
    What´s the difference between we got together and we got it together?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: get it together

The expression "Get your act together" means do the things necessary to accomplish what you want to accomplish. It tends to mean that things were not very controlled before that.

It can be an admonishment: Come on, guys, get your act together. We'll never win with you playing like that!

I just need to spend a couple minutes to get my act together and then I can leave (as I look at my papers, etc. all over my desk)>

I believe the "we got it together" in this case means that they had a hard time getting things going, and eventually they "got their act together" and accomplished their goal.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

And "they got together" simply means that they all met up.

We got together for a meal.
    They got together to plan their holiday.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

We got together, but we couldn't get it together to paint the house.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

Is there any difference between to get it together/to get your act together and to sort it out? Could I also say At last, we sorted it (things) out and painted the house without a change in meaning?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Quote Originally Posted by beachboy View Post
    Is there any difference between to get it together/to get your act together and to sort it out? Could I also say At last, we sorted it (things) out and painted the house without a change in meaning?
    I think there's a subtle difference in meaning - or rather, "sort it out" could offer a potential variety of meanings.

"get it together" - the "it" is a little intangible, you could replace it with "our act" but not much else; it pretty much only refers to you yourselves, your own laziness or whatever.

"sorted it out" - you can understand the "it" in the same sense as above, or it could refer to something more tangible that had been previously defined in the conversation. [Such as a problem with the wrong colour paint].

I think it is probably more common for "sorted it out" to be used to reference an external problem like that, that has been previously defined.
    Last edited by Tullia; 09-Aug-2010 at 15:55.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Quote Originally Posted by beachboy View Post
    No, the meaning is a bit different.
    "Sorting things out" means untangling various problems and hindrances: you can identify specific reasons why you haven't done something.
    "Getting it all together" doesn't imply problems, but merely the fact that not everything is in the right place at the right time (including motivation).

I agree with the simultaneously posted message above.

PS: Applied individually, the vulgar term "getting your shit together" means the same thing and is worth understanding, if not using. Again, it means mobilising your personal resources, rather than solving any specific problems.