[Vocabulary] Pronounce 'ct' sound at the end of the word?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Williamyh

Member Type
Other
Hi Everybody,

Many English words with 'ct' at the end, in the phonetics symbol it writes as [FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]kt[/FONT][/FONT], I was wondering if we REALLY need to pronounce the [FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]k [/FONT][/FONT]sound in daily life, cos when I watch native speakers speak the following words, they seem just to pronounce as contact [FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]ˈkɒn tæt,[/FONT][/FONT]perfect [FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]ˈfet[/FONT][/FONT],object [FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]ˈɒb dʒet[/FONT][/FONT] without [FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]k [/FONT][/FONT]sound but in dictionaries which indicate us to pronounce contact [FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]ˈkɒn tækt[/FONT][/FONT], perfect [FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]ˈfekt[/FONT][/FONT],object [FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]ˈɒb dʒekt[/FONT][/FONT] with [FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]k [/FONT][/FONT]sound, please advise. Thanks

W

meobeo

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Australia
Hi Everybody,

Many English words with 'ct' at the end, in the phonetics symbol it writes as [FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]kt[/FONT][/FONT], I was wondering if we REALLY need to pronounce the [FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]k [/FONT][/FONT]sound in daily life, cos when I watch native speakers speak the following words, they seem just to pronounce as contact [FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]ˈkɒn tæt,[/FONT][/FONT]perfect [FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]ˈfet[/FONT][/FONT],object [FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]ˈɒb dʒet[/FONT][/FONT] without [FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]k [/FONT][/FONT]sound but in dictionaries which indicate us to pronounce contact [FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]ˈkɒn tækt[/FONT][/FONT], perfect [FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]ˈfekt[/FONT][/FONT],object [FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]ˈɒb dʒekt[/FONT][/FONT] with [FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]k [/FONT][/FONT]sound, please advise. Thanks

W

I'm fairly sure that British people do say "kt" and so do the majority of people in the U.S. The reason you felt that they only said "contact" without the k sound was probably because you heard it on TV. Try listening to those words again with headphones or to a real person speaking, I think you'll see the difference.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hi Everybody,

W

Again, the unvoiced velar plosive /k/ is usually made, but not necessarily released. The back of the tongue rises to the back of the palate for /k/, but it often isn't released until the tip of the tongue releases /t/ at the alveolar ridge.

This also happens with the /pt/ of "concept, contempt", etc. where the bilabial plosive /p/ is not released until the /t/ is.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
So you should not consider it something you can skip over.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:up: There are dialects where the end of the consonant cluster is dropped. This is non-standard. The spelling 'perfick' is a common 'eye-dialect' rendition of this tendency.

b

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
But if you've ever taught Asian students you might have noticed they have trouble believing we pronounce final consonants so faithfully, and often assume they can be skipped or at least devoiced. "Do you eat crap?" asked one colleague at a seafood restaurant.

Status
Not open for further replies.