[Grammar] Regarding the use of the adverbs and difference between them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe333

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
Sri Lanka
Current Location
Spain
My question is regarding the usage of the adverbs et al and etc. and their meanings.

I have recently noticed that I have "perhaps" used the adverbs like et al often at wrong places. That is so because by the meaning of adverb et al I used to think "and others". E.g. "it includes WSJ, Times, Economist et al". I was half sure about its usage there. I thought the adverb "etc." can also come there, but I went by the adverb "et al"; thinking that "and others" would be more appropriate. My confusion regarding them increased when I decided to see the "thorough" meaning of the adverb "et al" . From what I have inferred , not sure correctly, is that the adverb "et al" is used mostly with name nouns like Smith, John etc. E.g. "Snoopy, Charlie Brown et al get a new owner"

So, now please explain three things to me. What is the difference between the adverbs "etc." and "et al"? Where should they(et al, etc.) be used? And where can they be used? Thirdly, did I correctly used the adverb "et al" in my e.g.?

PS: Sorry for a bit long-winded post. I wanted to explain my case clearly to get a good explanation
emotion-1.gif
. I can't speak succinctly as I don't command over the language.

Regards and thanks for reading and answering.
emotion-1.gif

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Not a teacher.

Et al. (note the period/full stop after al.) is used to mean "and others." It is used for people, so you are correct that it is used in lists like "Smith, Jones, et al."

Etc. ("and the rest") is used for things. Same basic idea, you give a few examples and include other similar items by using "etc." Turn off your ipods, mobile phones, etc. before the airplane takes off.

They aren't adverbs, but prepositional phrases, as abbreviations from Latin.

Status
Not open for further replies.