Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: fill up/fill in

  1. Junior Member
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Algeria
      • Current Location:
      • Algeria

    • Join Date: Jul 2010
    • Posts: 38

    fill up/fill in

    Okay, I have this feeling that the phrase 'fill up the form' sounds a bit weird, so I googled it and a lot of websites told me that people usually say 'fill in' or 'fill out' when talking about forms and that 'fill up' was wrong. But I found a couple of (reliable) webpages where 'fill up' is used in this sense (I can't give you the links because apparently I don't have enough posts).

    My question is essentially- is 'fill up the form' considered bad English? Would it be fair for it to be marked wrong on a grammar test? Is it used anywhere by native speakers of English?

  2. VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Apr 2009
    • Posts: 12,465

    Re: fill up/fill in

    Not a teacher.

    Forms are filled in or filled out. Not up.

Similar Threads

  1. [General] go off/fill up/fill in
    By vil in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 24-Feb-2010, 18:25
  2. fill in and fill out; possibly and probably
    By jiang in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-Nov-2009, 10:04
  3. fill in vs fill out
    By juliana0403 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 20-Oct-2008, 21:47
  4. fill in or fill out
    By hemmin in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 18-Sep-2006, 13:20
  5. fill in/fill up/fill out
    By hlbert03 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-Sep-2006, 08:38


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts