monitor television sets

Status
Not open for further replies.

giuly90

Member Type
Student or Learner
Dear experts,

I'm reading an essay and there's an expression I cannot quite understand. The author is talkking about a conference in Damascus which attracted a lot of people. Here's his description:

"All monitor television sets had to be activated and loud speakers carried the proceedings out to the crowds congregating in the open air at the entrance to the Mezzeh Cultural Center".

I cannot understand the first part of the sentence. What does "all monitor television sets" mean? I wonder if this means "maxi screens had to be put in various points of the conference hall and loud speaker were put in place to let people on the outside hear the speech".

Thank you in advance for your reply,

Giuly

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, they turned all the TVs on. It seems like someone wrote "monitors" then someone said "what does that mean?" so they ended up being redundant and saying "monitor television sets."

Noel Cosgrave

Member Type
Academic
Yes, they turned all the TVs on. It seems like someone wrote "monitors" then someone said "what does that mean?" so they ended up being redundant and saying "monitor television sets."
It is also possible that the writer intended to convey the fact that the screens were being used to monitor proceedings at the event.

(Experienced English Teacher / Director of Studies)

giuly90

Member Type
Student or Learner
It is also possible that the writer intended to convey the fact that the screens were being used to monitor proceedings at the event.

(Experienced English Teacher / Director of Studies)

Thank you for your reply, but I don't quite understand what do you mean by "to monitor proceedings at the event".

Perhpas do you mean "to show in a tv screen the conference while it took place"?

Best,

Giuly

Status
Not open for further replies.