Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. wotcha's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

    • Join Date: Jun 2010
    • Posts: 735
    #1

    'Not being...' or 'Being not...' ?

    1. Not being retired from work, she is still making money.

    2. Being not retired from work, she is still making money.


    Which is correct?

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Jun 2010
    • Posts: 24,515
    #2

    Re: 'Not being...' or 'Being not...' ?

    1 is more natural.

    Rover


    • Join Date: Aug 2010
    • Posts: 8
    #3

    Re: 'Not being...' or 'Being not...' ?

    Yes 1 does sound more natural, although I would say " Not having retired from work, she is still making money" sound better than both..

  2. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,629
    #4

    Re: 'Not being...' or 'Being not...' ?

    Quote Originally Posted by englishpro View Post
    Yes 1 does sound more natural, although I would say " Not having retired from work, she is still making money" sound better than both..
    I'd agree with that.

  3. Moonwalker's Avatar

    • Join Date: Jan 2008
    • Posts: 12
    #5

    Re: 'Not being...' or 'Being not...' ?

    vote for No1

  4. konungursvia's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

    • Join Date: Mar 2009
    • Posts: 5,158
    #6

    Re: 'Not being...' or 'Being not...' ?

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    I'd agree with that.
    I agree with that too of course. And Bhaisahab, did you see the recent post in which numerous people told our student that "Having not done her homework...." was preferable to "Not having done her homework...."? I couldn't believe I was in the minority stating that Not having.... was correct.

  5. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,106
    #7

    Re: 'Not being...' or 'Being not...' ?

    Quote Originally Posted by konungursvia View Post
    I agree with that too of course. And Bhaisahab, did you see the recent post in which numerous people told our student that "Having not done her homework...." was preferable to "Not having done her homework...."? I couldn't believe I was in the minority stating that Not having.... was correct.
    You were in the minority stating that it was "far more correct". From memory, I don't think the majority was claiming it was incorrect. Was that your impression?

    Similarly, no one has said that 2. above is incorrect, although that could be inferred from the form of the original question and a quick scan of the thread.
    Last edited by Raymott; 11-Aug-2010 at 17:02.

  6. konungursvia's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

    • Join Date: Mar 2009
    • Posts: 5,158
    #8

    Re: 'Not being...' or 'Being not...' ?

    I did state it was far more correct, as a polite alternative to saying the other was incorrect, so bluntly. More people seemed to chime in for the "novel" answer than the "traditional" answer, if memory serves.

    https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/a...-finished.html

  7. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,106
    #9

    Re: 'Not being...' or 'Being not...' ?

    Quote Originally Posted by konungursvia View Post
    More people seemed to chime in for the "novel" answer than the "traditional" answer, if memory serves.

    https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/a...-finished.html
    Perhaps they weren't familiar with the novelty of it?

  8. konungursvia's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

    • Join Date: Mar 2009
    • Posts: 5,158
    #10

    Re: 'Not being...' or 'Being not...' ?

    Your guess is as good as mine... :D

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •