Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Burmese
Home Country
Myanmar
Current Location
Myanmar
Can somebody tell me what is the difference between "level off" and "remained constant" in terms of describing graphs. From my understanding, both words have the same meaning but somehow I have a feeling that I might be wrong. I'm taking IELTS this week and those 2 words are making me confused. Thanks.

Regards

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Can somebody tell me what is the difference between "level off" and "remained constant" in terms of describing graphs. From my understanding, both words have the same meaning but somehow I have a feeling that I might be wrong. I'm taking IELTS this week and those 2 words are making me confused. Thanks.

Regards
If a graph is rising or falling and then becomes level, it has "levelled off". Levelling off is a process of change.
If a graph remains constant, it doesn't change.

harrylynn

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Burmese
Home Country
Myanmar
Current Location
Myanmar
If a graph is rising or falling and then becomes level, it has "levelled off". Levelling off is a process of change.
If a graph remains constant, it doesn't change.

So, levelled off focus more on the process of change and remain constant focus more on the stability of the line ?
rotationm31_lg.jpg

In the above picture, can I say after 40 radial distance, it becomes levelled off and remained constant till 100 radian distance ?

Thanks you for helping me out. I do really appreciate it

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
So, levelled off focus more on the process of change and remain constant focus more on the stability of the line ?
rotationm31_lg.jpg

In the above picture, can I say after 40 radial distance, it becomes levelled off and remained constant till 100 radian distance ?

Thanks you for helping me out. I do really appreciate it
Yes, it levels off between 40 and 60, and then remains constant.

harrylynn

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Burmese
Home Country
Myanmar
Current Location
Myanmar
Thank you very much.

hanky

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Yes, it levels off between 40 and 60, and then remains constant.

Hi Ray,
Can we say it levels off between 40 and 100?

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi Ray,

No, don't say that. It's constant between 60 and 100.

If you say it leveled off between 40 and 100, it sounds like to didn't reach that constant value until it got to 100. It sounds like from 40-100 it will still not level.

And welcome to Using English, harrylynn.

Last edited:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hi Ray,
Levelling off is the process of becoming level. If it has already reached a constant value at 60, it is no longer levelling off between 60 and 100.
It is level between 60 and 100, but it is not levelling off; it has already levelled off between 40 and 60.

hanky

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Levelling off is the process of becoming level. If it has already reached a constant value at 60, it is no longer levelling off between 60 and 100.
It is level between 60 and 100, but it is not levelling off; it has already levelled off between 40 and 60.

If I just say the rotational velocity decreases when the radial distance increases from 40 to 60 and it's constant when the radial distance is between 60 and 100, does it sound worse than saying the rotational velocity levels off between 40 and 60, and it's constant when the radial distance is between 60 and 100?

Thanks.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Your version is actually more specific. When you say it levels off, you don't know if it becomes constant after increasing, or becomes constant after decreasing.

Your version says that it was higher, then it gets lower to attain that constant. It's more informative, therefore more precise. (And this is a good distinction between accurate and precise. You are no more accurate, but you are more precise.)

Status
Not open for further replies.