[Vocabulary] power tie

Status
Not open for further replies.

akit

Member Type
Student or Learner
What does "power tie" mean and why is it called "power" tie?
I found the phrase in the following joke.
A shepherd was tending his flock in a remote pasture when suddenly a dust cloud approached at high speed, out of which emerged a shiny silver BMW. The driver, a young man in an Armani suit, Ferragamo shoes, the latest Polarized sunglasses and a tightly knotted power tie, poked his head out the window and asked the shepherd, "Hey! If I can tell you how many sheep you have in your flock, will you give me one?"

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I've never heard power tie said, but power suit refers to the Western business executive's attire -- a dark blue or grey suit that says masculinity and formality, and makes a man look managerial rather than just blue collar or even white collar.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
How does the joke go on, Vil?

Rover

vil

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Hi Rover KE,

I’m afraid I didn’t make the sense of your question by reason of the poly-semantic connotations of the “go on”.

Anything I know go on something = 1. begin something, as in go on line, meaning "start to use a computer," or 2. go on a binge, meaning "begin to overdo, especially drink or eat too much."

If you had in mind the first connotation of the key phrase, my answer is very clear= The joke from the 3rd link of my post above started without outside interference by clicking on the link. In my opinion it is a really power joke.

Regards,

V.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
How does the joke continue and end?

What comes next?

Tell us the rest of the joke, please.

Rover

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hi Rover KE,

I’m afraid I didn’t make the sense of your question by reason of the poly-semantic connotations of the “go on”.

Anything I know go on something = 1. begin something, as in go on line, meaning "start to use a computer," or 2. go on a binge, meaning "begin to overdo, especially drink or eat too much."

If you had in mind the first connotation of the key phrase, my answer is very clear= The joke from the 3rd link of my post above started without outside interference by clicking on the link. In my opinion it is a really power joke.

Regards,

V.
Vil, I think Rover is being sarcastic. They pretend they think what you say is a joke although they know it isn't. I'm curious why.

Reactions: vil

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
So, “power tie” is a cynical marketing term meaning a tie that is garish, loud, lacking taste, flashy and gaudy?

vil

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Hi Raymott,

Whoever see the first two links of my post in the beginning of the present thread will agree that your formulation is beyond reproach.

V.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
"Hey! If I can tell you how many sheep you have in your flock, will you give me one?"

What was the shepherd's reply?

Rover

vil

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
What was the shepherd's reply?

Rover

Shepherd agrees. A young man gets out of car laptop, satellite phone, connects to the Internet, gathers information, classifies, analyzes ... At sundown, it gives a printout of the shepherd: "302 heads". Then choose from one sheep flock and puts himself in the trunk.
And the shepherd said to him: "Wait a minute. If you want, now I'll tell you who you are and what you waiting for? But bear in mind that if I become human, sheep, you give me back ". The young man agrees.
"You're a business consultant and now disgraced. How do I know? First, you had not been asked, and you've arrived. Secondly, you told me exactly what I know and without you. " Thirdly, you absolutely do not understand about the subject of research. Now please, get out of my trunk shepherd dog.

V.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
So, “power tie” is a cynical marketing term meaning a tie that is garish, loud, lacking taste, flashy and gaudy?

No, not at all! A power tie is simply a formal tie that shows the person is in upper management. While lesser mortals may wear ties with Dr. Seuss characters or snowmen or baseballs, a power tie will be subtle, probably burgundy with a slight stripe or something equally sophisticated.

(I prefer ties that have dogs playing poker, Betty Boop, etc.)

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Here is a slightly different version of the punch line:

First, you turned up here although nobody called you.

Second, you want to get paid for an answer I already knew, to a question I never asked.

Third, you don't know crap about my business.

Now give me back my sheepdog.

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I'm sorry, Rover, I misunderstood you. I didn't even think you could be asking for the punchline because you asked Vil, and not the original poster. Sorry again.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
... a power tie will be subtle, probably burgundy with a slight stripe or something equally sophisticated.
But that's not what the ads say. It was from the ads that I inferred the meaning.
"Bold Impact and Visual Appeal" And the samples shown.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I didn't look at the links -- it's just an expression that I'm familiar with. Maybe they used it with irony?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I'm sorry, Rover, I misunderstood you. I didn't even think you could be asking for the punchline because you asked Vil, and not the original poster. Sorry again.

That's OK, BC - my fault entirely.

Good joke, though. :-D

Thanks, all.

Rover

Status
Not open for further replies.