• Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

• Post Thanks / Like

underlying

I'm having trouble understanding this article about archiphonemes. I think the main reason for it is that I don't get the meaning of the word "underlying" which is use d there several times. Please explain to me what it means in this context.

Of course, I would be very grateful if you'd explain the article to me too. But it's a difficult thing to do I think, so I'll be content if you only clear the "underlying" matter up for me.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: underlying

Quote Originally Posted by birdeen's call View Post
    I'm having trouble understanding this article about archiphonemes. I think the main reason for it is that I don't get the meaning of the word "underlying" which is use d there several times. Please explain to me what it means in this context.

Of course, I would be very grateful if you'd explain the article to me too. But it's a difficult thing to do I think, so I'll be content if you only clear the "underlying" matter up for me.
    It means something which is at the root or the base of the issue in question.

Examples:

I've bought a house which needs a lot of work. It has problems with the roof, and the windows all need to be replaced. I can fix those things quite easily but the underlying problem is the damp. The house is damp from top to bottom. That's going to be much harder to sort out.

Mrs Smith is very unwell. She has a fever, an infection and regularly gets terrible headaches. We can treat these symptoms but we are having trouble finding the underlying cause for them.