• Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt

• Post Thanks / Like

coated around

Dear all,

A chef is making a vinaigrette and then says "we'll put the fennel right on top. it will get all the dressing coated around on it" and then she added the greens.

What does she mean by "get the dressing coated around on it"

This is so weird combination of prepositions and the dressing is going to coat or cover anything either it's the fennel or anything else.

I'm really so provoked right now bec I know it's easy and she just says some complicated stuff :(

Thanks a lot

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: coated around

Quote Originally Posted by maiabulela View Post
    Dear all,

A chef is making a vinaigrette and then says "we'll put the fennel right on top. it will get all the dressing coated around on it" and then she added the greens.

What does she mean by "get the dressing coated around on it"

This is so weird combination of prepositions and the dressing is going to coat or cover anything either it's the fennel or anything else.

I'm really so provoked right now bec I know it's easy and she just says some complicated stuff :(

Thanks a lot
    The main problem is that people rarely worry about grammatical correctness when speaking. Her sentence is very messy and as you say, has too many prepositions. I imagine she meant "It will become thoroughly coated in/with the dressing."

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: coated around

People in the food presentation business are very fond of over-ornate language, and when they can't find a word they either invent one or borrow one: 'enrobed' comes to mind (it sounds so much posher than 'coated'). Another thing they're fond of (because someone else is doing the washing up ) is using sauces to make abstract shapes around the food. It sounds as if 'coated around' is an attempt to combine these two ideas.

b