• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

indecent assaults

1) What do we call those guys doing indecent assaults on women in the public eg. bus, subway...etc?

2) What should I describe the act those guys doing in the above point number 1? Is "indecent assault" correct?

3) I am trying to teach my 10 year-old daughter about those unexpected incident may happen in the public (in English). Any source from internet that I can refer to in teaching this topic in proper English?

Tks / ju

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Re: indecent assaults

They're sex offenders, Ju.

Indecent assault is correct (at least in the UK).

Googling the phrase will take you to plenty of helpful sites.

Rover

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: indecent assaults

Quote Originally Posted by Ju View Post
    1) What do we call those guys doing indecent assaults on women in the public eg. bus, subway...etc?

2) What should I describe the act those guys doing in the above point number 1? Is "indecent assault" correct?

3) I am trying to teach my 10 year-old daughter about those unexpected incident may happen in the public (in English). Any source from internet that I can refer to in teaching this topic in proper English?

Tks / ju
    I'm not sure you can say there is a specific phrase for people who commit any kind of assault specifically on public transport. As far as what those people are doing is concerned, you need to be careful because "indecent assault" is a specific legal term.

In the UK, we have assault, common assault, assault with intent, indecent assault, sexual assault, rape and many others, I'm sure.

People who steal from you in the street. are called pickpockets, robbers, muggers. People who steal from your home are burglars. People who assault etc can be called attackers. People who rape are rapists. Once convicted of a sexual offence, they are deemed a "sex offender".

You might want to be careful about the potential sexist connotation of saying "these guys who...". Guys is usually taken to mean men, but there are women who carry out assaults too.

As far as teaching your child about potential dangers, I'm sure you know what you want to tell her. The only website I found which doesn't solely deal with internet safety was this one: BBC - Health: Keeping them safe