• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey

demonglass

I saw his eyes drift from the paper and to my right hand. A puckered scar ran across my palm, a souvenir of that night. Demonglass leaves quite a mark.

What can I say for Demonglass?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey

Re: demonglass

Clearing his throat, Dad dropped the papers. “So yes, Sophia, I would agree that you did have quite the intense semester. Ironic considering the fact that I sent you here to be safe.”
    Sixteen years worth of questions and accusations flooded my brain, and I heard myself snap, “Which I might have been if someone had filled me in on the whole me being a demon thing.” ??

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey

Behind dad, Mrs. Casnoff frowned, and I thought I was about to get a lecture on respecting one’s elders, but Dad just watched me with those blue eyes—my eyes—and gave a tiny smile. “Touché.” ??

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkerbell View Post
    I saw his eyes drift from the paper and to my right hand. A puckered scar ran across my palm, a souvenir of that night. Demonglass leaves quite a mark.

Demonglass must be whatever cause the scar; is it some kind of metal or other material that could be used to create a weapon?

It's a neologism, though, so without more context which might be elsewhere in the book I can't really help more.

Clearing his throat, Dad dropped the papers. “So yes, Sophia, I would agree that you did have quite the intense semester. Ironic considering the fact that I sent you here to be safe.”
    Sixteen years worth of questions and accusations flooded my brain, and I heard myself snap, “Which I might have been if someone had filled me in on the whole me being a demon thing.” ??
    "I might have been (safe), if someone had told me in advance about the fact I was a demon."

to fill someone in = to tell someone the full story, make sure they are aware of all the facts

Behind dad, Mrs. Casnoff frowned, and I thought I was about to get a lecture on respecting one’s elders, but Dad just watched me with those blue eyes—my eyes—and gave a tiny smile. “Touché.” ??
    "Good point."

We say "
    Touché" when we are acknowledging a clever point or argument made by the person with whom we are talking. It comes from the sport of fencing, when people would say it to acknowledge that their opponent has managed to hit (touch) them with a fencing foil. (A foil is a rapier or sword used in fencing.) It's a French word but in common English usage.
    Last edited by Tullia; 14-Aug-2010 at 02:46.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey

I don't know anything about Demonglass yet. But I'll ask for your advise later.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

If it's a substance rather than a character, do what comes naturally auf Deutsch: string together the two nouns.

b