Results 1 to 8 of 8
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

    • Join Date: May 2009
    • Posts: 49
    #1

    Smile Ain't I

    Please help - what's the difference between:
    "Ain't I" and "Aren't I" ?
    Do we still use "ain't I" now?

  1. philadelphia's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • France
      • Current Location:
      • France

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 838
    #2

    Re: Ain't I

    *Not a teacher

    Yes, it is still used. Ain't is a kind of a slang contraction of aren't/isn't as you must likely know. Ain't is rather used in spoken English by the middle and the lower classes and/or by younger people. However, it could be used in a song, eg Train - Hey soul sister: "[...] the way you move ain't fair you know [...]" OR in an idiom, eg "you ain't seen nothing yet" meaning more surprising things are likely to happen.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • Italy

    • Join Date: Aug 2008
    • Posts: 353
    #3

    Re: Ain't I

    Might I add another idiom containing AIN'T...?

    IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T FIX IT when you say that if something is in a satisfactory state there is no reason to try to change it.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

    • Join Date: Jul 2010
    • Posts: 5,098
    #4

    Re: Ain't I

    Quote Originally Posted by philadelphia View Post
    *Not a teacher

    Yes, it is still used. Ain't is a kind of a slang contraction of aren't/isn't as you must likely know. Ain't is rather used in spoken English by the middle and the lower classes and/or by younger people. However, it could be used in a song, eg Train - Hey soul sister: "[...] the way you move ain't fair you know [...]" OR in an idiom, eg "you ain't seen nothing yet" meaning more surprising things are likely to happen.
    I'll only point out that "ain't" is in place of "hasn't" in the bolded sentence. Not in place of "isn't" or "aren't".

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Dec 2009
    • Posts: 6,332
    #5

    Re: Ain't I

    Quote Originally Posted by catoidtang View Post
    Please help - what's the difference between:
    "Ain't I" and "Aren't I" ?
    Do we still use "ain't I" now?
    ********** NOT a teacher **********

    Hello, Catoidtang.

    (1) In formal English, you would say:

    I am your best friend, am I not?

    (2) In conversational English, people say:

    I am your best friend, aren't I?

    (i) They say aren't because the contraction of am + not =

    ain't. Many people (not all) feel that this is not a proper word to use.

    (3) Most contractions are fine:

    You, we, they are nice, aren't you/we/they?

    He. she, it is nice, isn't he/ she/ it?

    All languages have exceptions: I am correct, aren't I? An exception.

    (4) Since you want to learn standard English, I very respectfully suggest

    that you not use the word ain't.

    (a) Of course, we must show respect to those speakers who use it on

    a regular basis, but English learners should probably avoid it because some

    people will consider you as uneducated or uncultured if you use it. After

    you speak English well, then you may wish to use it occasionally to give

    a "flavor" to your speech.

    THANK YOU

  2. philadelphia's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • France
      • Current Location:
      • France

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 838
    #6

    Re: Ain't I

    Quote Originally Posted by birdeen's call View Post
    I'll only point out that "ain't" is in place of "hasn't" in the bolded sentence. Not in place of "isn't" or "aren't".
    I know that, actually.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • Italy

    • Join Date: Aug 2008
    • Posts: 353
    #7

    Re: Ain't I

    Quote Originally Posted by birdeen's call View Post
    I'll only point out that "ain't" is in place of "hasn't" in the bolded sentence. Not in place of "isn't" or "aren't".

    In the above sentence AIN'T replaces HAVEN'T not HASN'T... ( needless to say the double negative form is very colloquial)

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 57,888
    #8

    Re: Ain't I

    Quote Originally Posted by philadelphia View Post
    Ain't is rather used in spoken English by the middle and the lower classes and/or by younger people.
    I can't say I agree with this class assessment- you will find people who speak aristocratic English who say ain't. Traditionally, the rich and powerful didn't need to bother themselves with such niceties as grammar; it was the middle classes who worried themselves into states about what was correct or not.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •