Can we "leave Sth in pawn" for a service?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi,
Once I had this question and I got some nice hints about it. Unfortunately, it's sort of remained to be a problem yet. When we receive some service, but we suddenly find out we haven't got any money on us usually we can leave a possession so that later we can pay the money and take that object back. I had these expressions from a friend: "to leave Sth as a pledge/ as collateral." Now, can we use "leave Sth in pawn" when it's NOT for borrowing money? (especially when we receive a service for which we haven't got the money) Thanks.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Hi,
Once I had this question and I got some nice hints about it. Unfortunately, it's sort of remained to be a problem yet. When we receive some service, but we suddenly find out we haven't got any money on us usually we can leave a possession so that later we can pay the money and take that object back. I had these expressions from a friend: "to leave Sth as a pledge/ as collateral." Now, can we use "leave Sth in pawn" when it's NOT for borrowing money? (especially when we receive a service for which we haven't got the money) Thanks.

No, to pawn something is to leave it as security against a loan (of money).

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
No, to pawn something is to leave it as security against a loan (of money).

So many thanks. Is there any informal idiom, or phrasal verb used here? (especially in BrE)

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
When you pawn something, it means you take something of value (jewelry, a television set, stereo equipment, etc) to a pawn shop and the pawn shop will give you a certain amount of money in exchange for the item. The amount he gives you will never be the full amount of what the item is worth, but he will keep your item for a set amount of time (30 days, perhaps) during which time you can buy it back for the same amount. Otherwise, after the prescribed time he will put your item up for sale in his shop.

In US slang, when we sell an item to a pawn shop we say that we "hocked" it. :)

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
When you pawn something, it means you take something of value (jewelry, a television set, stereo equipment, etc) to a pawn shop and the pawn shop will give you a certain amount of money in exchange for the item. The amount he gives you will never be the full amount of what the item is worth, but he will keep your item for a set amount of time (30 days, perhaps) during which time you can buy it back for the same amount. Otherwise, after the prescribed time he will put your item up for sale in his shop.

In US slang, when we sell an item to a pawn shop we say that we "hocked" it. :)

Many thanks dear Ouisch. "leave Sth in hock" really helped as it's related to pawning Sth. However, could you please give me the right term when borrowing money is not concerned?

(I go to a petrol station cos I need Sth for my car. I get the item but I realise I haven't got the money. As the seller doesn't know me, the only way is for me to leave Sth there, till I pay the money back.) (I know nobody does such a thing nowadays unless the seller is unapproachable! :) I just happened to be interested in the idiom or whatever that is. Thanks again.)

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I would say you left something there on deposit or as collateral.

For example, at a water park, you can borrow a life jacket (at no charge) as long as you leave you driver's license there. You have leave your license as collateral. When you return the life jacket, you get your license back.

Status
Not open for further replies.