• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

about participle, to-infinite

An ordinance was passed Friday by the Metropolitan Council permitting citizens and groups to use the Citizen Plaza upon submission of notification to the city.

1. In the example sentence, How can I understand the use of permitting?
    Can anyone explain it to me easily? I know the meaning of the whole sentence, but as I am a beginner in egnlish, it is not easy to understand as grammar.

Could the Metroplitan be the same actor at the same time in one sentence?
    The metropolitan Council passed an ordiance. And it permitted citizens and groups to use the plaza. But at first, An ordiance was passed by the Metropolitan and at the same time is it possible it to permit citizens and groups to use the plaza, even though being added with by?

2. Also, in to-infinte, What is infinite in the meaing of the word itself? parts of speech?

I will be thankful, if anyone answer my questions.

Re: about participle, to-infinite

Quote Originally Posted by atssarbia View Post
     An ordinance was passed Friday by the Metropolitan Council permitting citizens and groups to use the Citizen Plaza upon submission of notification to the city.

1. In the example sentence, How can I understand the use of permitting?
    Can anyone explain it to me easily? I know the meaning of the whole sentence, but as I am a beginner in egnlish, it is not easy to understand as grammar.

Could the Metroplitan be the same actor at the same time in one sentence?
    The metropolitan Council passed an ordiance. And it permitted citizens and groups to use the plaza. But at first, An ordiance was passed by the Metropolitan and at the same time is it possible it to permit citizens and groups to use the plaza, even though being added with by?

2. Also, in to-infinte, What is infinite in the meaing of the word itself? parts of speech?

I will be thankful, if anyone answer my questions.
    The meaning of "permit" is to allow, to let, to give permission or consent to.
    Infinitive - Grammar: the verb part - not limited by person or number. The infinitive of the verb is preceded by "to" except modal verbs and the "bare infinitive" is without "to".
    Hope this helps you.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

Re: about participle, to-infinite

The ordinance (law for a city) allows people to use the plaza, but it has to be passed to start having legal force, like any law, and the council is the body who can take the text and approve it.