Member Type
Other
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
I pronunciate with as wɪθ. (As far as I know it's wið in BrE). But for being practical, is it OK to pronunciate with the as wiði or wiðə?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I pronunciate with as wɪθ. (As far as I know it's wið in BrE). But for being practical, is it OK to pronunciate 'with the' as wiði or wiðə?
It's normally pronounced /wIθðə/, /wIθði/ (smallcap I)
The tongue position doesn't change (θ is not released), but the unvoiced /θ/ becomes the voiced /ð/ halfway through.
No, "with the" is not pronounced 'wither' or 'withee'. It's a definite double consonant, and if 'with' is /wið/, it becomes /wiððə/, with the ð given double value as in Italian double letters, for example.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
In some regions in the UK, you'll hear 'wiv' there, but not everybody will like it.

euncu

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
It's normally pronounced

It's strange to find out that I've been using a verb (to pronunciate) that doesn't exist (I looked up after your reply) for a long time. But although it doesn't exist my version sounded elegant than pronouncing. ;-)

Thanks for having made me realize my mistake.

Nightmare85

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
It's strange to find out that I've been using a verb (to pronunciate) that doesn't exist (I looked up after your reply) for a long time. But although it doesn't exist my version sounded elegant than pronouncing. ;-)

Thanks for having made me realize my mistake.

It's not so bad, it's just rare to extinct. All the -iate verbs come straight from the French -er verbs, and prononcer exists, so you've no reason to feel ashamed.

euncu

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Nightmare85 and konungursvia, thanks for your replies. I had looked for a confirmation on both Dictionary, Encyclopedia and Thesaurus - The Free Dictionary and Dictionary and Thesaurus - Merriam-Webster Online and found out that they didn't contain this word. So I took it that this word didn't exist. Maybe, I shouldn't have counted on these online dictionaries as absolute sources for English words. And, finally, for the sake of not being sounded unnatural (yet grammatical), I'll get myself used to using "to pronounce".

Status
Not open for further replies.