Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
“Yeah,” I said. “And we can, you know, break it off, right? It’s not a done deal.”

“Exactly. So are we cool?” (Are we friends??)

I drew a pattern on the dirt-covered floor with my toe. “Yeah. We’re cool.”

The long flight from Georgia to England had been pretty uneventful. Except that Cal had sat next to me.

Which was fine. Really.

It wasn’t like I’d been hyperaware of his presence and jumped the three times his knee bumped mine. And after that third time, he definitely hadn’t shot me a kind of disgusted look and said, “Chill out, will you?”

And when Jenna gave us both a quizzical look, we hadn’t snapped, in unison, “Nothing!” Because all of that would have been weird, and Cal and I weren’t weird. We were cool.??

What is the meaning of hadn't in these sentences?

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
We're cool = There is no anger, hostility, weirdness, problem in our relationship.

It can be used in many situations:

After I run over your foot, but it's not broken, and I apologize, I want to make sure you're not doing to sue me... I'm really sorry - it was an accident. We're cool, right?

After you try to kiss me, which I really don't want, because I like us being friends, and we want to assure yourselves that we're still friends - we're still cool, right?

I know I owe you a $10, and finally, later than I should have, I pay you back. I know you were mad at me, but I tell you why I was late, and you understand: No problem. We're cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.