Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
In the following sentence, what does "advanced"mean? if that means "in advance or ahead of time", i don't think that is matched with "submitted" in the latter part of the sentence because "submitted" means in this context " was submitted".

This is really confused so please make it clear.

- They shall be provided advanced copies of any application submitted to the agency on his behalf.

Atchan

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Somali
Home Country
Somalia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
Advanced means "modern and well developed".

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In the following sentence, what does "advanced"mean? if that means "in advance or ahead of time", i don't think that is matched with "submitted" in the latter part of the sentence because "submitted" means in this context " was submitted".

This is really confused so please make it clear.

- They shall be provided advanced copies of any application submitted to the agency on his behalf.

I don't know if you copied this from somewhere, but in my opinion it's a typo. It should say "advance copies", meaning that "they" (whoever "they" are) will be sent copies in advance/ahead of time (as you surmised) of any application [which is/has been/was] submitted to the agency. If you consider that it should be "advance" then your problem with the combination with "submitted" should vanish!

paris 06

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I don't know if you copied this from somewhere, but in my opinion it's a typo. It should say "advance copies", meaning that "they" (whoever "they" are) will be sent copies in advance/ahead of time (as you surmised) of any application [which is/has been/was] submitted to the agency. If you consider that it should be "advance" then your problem with the combination with "submitted" should vanish!

It is really confusing, but what hits me at this moment is that "advanced" in this sentence means " submit". I came to realization that "advance" is a different form of "submit" in meaing after looking up this word in the dictionary.

Is it possible that "advanced" in this sentence means "submitted"?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
It is really confusing, but what hits me at this moment is that "advanced" in this sentence means " submit". I came to realization that "advance" is a different form of "submit" in meaing after looking up this word in the dictionary.

Is it possible that "advanced" in this sentence means "submitted"?
No, I would agree that it's probably a typo and should be "advance".

paris 06

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
No, I would agree that it's probably a typo and should be "advance".

If you are correct, then you mean "advance" is used as an adjective here?

But I looked it up in the dictionary, which says "advance" is not used as an adjective.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Bhai is most certainly correct, as always. An advance copy is a use of a noun as an adjective, and that precise phrase is common.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If you are correct, then you mean "advance" is used as an adjective here?

But I looked it up in the dictionary, which says "advance" is not used as an adjective.

I think you need another dictionary:
Main Entry: 3advance
Function: adjective
Date: 1701
1 : made, sent, or furnished ahead of time <advance sales>
2 : going or situated before <an advance party of soldiers>

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
For example, a bookshop may be sent an "advance copy" of a book. This means that the book is not yet officially published or on sale, but that the author/distributor is keen to allow certain shops or people to see the book early, perhaps so that they can decide whether to sell the book to the public when it is officially published.

Grammar's not my area of exepertise, but I have a feeling that advance here might be an adjectival noun. I'm sure someone else will advise about that.

paris 06

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
For example, a bookshop may be sent an "advance copy" of a book. This means that the book is not yet officially published or on sale, but that the author/distributor is keen to allow certain shops or people to see the book early, perhaps so that they can decide whether to sell the book to the public when it is officially published.

Grammar's not my area of exepertise, but I have a feeling that advance here might be an adjectival noun. I'm sure someone else will advise about that.

I have a question about "advanced".

A dictionary says it can be used as a verb meaning "move forward", then can "advanced" be used as verb-turned adjective in this sentence?

help me

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I have a question about "advanced".

A dictionary says it can be used as a verb meaning "move forward", then can "advanced" be used as verb-turned adjective in this sentence?

help me

In your original sentence? No. We have explained that there appears to be a typo here and that it should say "advance", not "advanced".

As a verb, "advanced" is the past simple of "to advance".
As an adjective, "advanced" means "with a high level of expertise or knowledge". (An advanced level of English)

Status
Not open for further replies.