[Grammar] Nancy Pelosi's English mistake

Status
Not open for further replies.

jiamajia

Member Type
Student or Learner
"There is no question there is a concerted effort to make this a political issue by some," she told San Francisco's KCBS radio. "And I join those who have called for looking into how is this opposition to the mosque being funded. "

House Speaker Pelosi calls on Islamic center opponents to be investigated - NYPOST.com

My question is: how often native speakers hear or say this kind of English.

Is that acceptable in spoken English to say:

I want to know how did she manage to be re-elected time and time again, rather than I want to know how she managed to be re-elected time and time again.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"There is no question there is a concerted effort to make this a political issue by some," she told San Francisco's KCBS radio. "And I join those who have called for looking into how is this opposition to the mosque being funded. "

House Speaker Pelosi calls on Islamic center opponents to be investigated - NYPOST.com

My question is: how often native speakers hear or say this kind of English.

Is that acceptable in spoken English to say:

I want to know how did she manage to be re-elected time and time again, rather than I want to know how she managed to be re-elected time and time again.

It may be more a case of the written version not doing reported speech properly. She may have said 'And I join those who have called for looking into [the question] "How is this opposition to the mosque being funded?" '

If that's what she meant, then the error is in the written reporting of it.

With your final question, the grammatically correct version is "I want to know how she managed to be re-elected time and time again".

jiamajia

Member Type
Student or Learner
It may be more a case of the written version not doing reported speech properly. She may have said 'And I join those who have called for looking into [the question] "How is this opposition to the mosque being funded?" '

With your final question, the grammatically correct version is "I want to know how she managed to be re-elected time and time again".

Thank you. I don't think there is any problem undertanding it. What I am curious about is how people react to such an error, which is minor in my opinion. Do they usually accept it as informal English?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thank you. I don't think there is any problem undertanding it. What I am curious about is how people react to such an error, which is minor in my opinion. Do they usually accept it as informal English?

Not a teacher.

It's not really an error, as explained above. If it were an error, it would be so slight as to not cause any big reaction.

(Being a Congressperson, it's amazing she has enough brains to construct a coherent sentence at all.)

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I imagine very few people even notice it. You can't hear punctuation, so in speech I don't see the point in saying this is wrong: /aɪwɔntǝnǝʊhaʊdʃi:getɜ:ʤɔb/. If you want to write it down correctly it would be 'I want to know: "How did she get her job?"'

b

MrPedantic

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
1. And I join those who have called for looking into how is this opposition to the mosque being funded.

The error here lies not in the question "how...funded", but in the underlined part:

2. I call for looking into X :cross:
3. I call for X to be looked into :tick:
4. I call for the question of X to be looked into :tick:
5. I call for someone to look into X :tick:

etc.

MrP

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
1. And I join those who have called for looking into how is this opposition to the mosque being funded.

The error here lies not in the question "how...funded", but in the underlined part:

I expect she was about to say 'I join those who have called for an investigation into how...', but, being a politician, she shied away from the Latinate word in favour of a more folksy one! Then she compounded the error by not inverting. She needs to ensure that her brain is fully engaged before setting her mouth in motion ;-); but she's not the only one.

b

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I agree with the OP that it sounds rather illiterate as quoted. I believe she`s a New-Yorker, and they have their own quirks there. Example: 2 verbs: `The problem is, is that there`s a blown fuse.`

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia

ndexter

Member Type
Student or Learner

Is that correct sentence?
And I join those who have called for looking into "How is this opposition to the mosque being funded?"
I don't think so.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Is that correct sentence?
And I join those who have called for looking into "How is this opposition to the mosque being funded?"
I don't think so.

No, her sentence isn't grammatically correct but as always, with reported speech in the newspapers, however grammatically incorrect the quote is, they have to report it verbatim. So if she said "...who have called for looking into..." then that's what they have to write. The orginal query comes down to a case for punctuation to explain why it was typed as "how is this" instead of "how this...is".

Status
Not open for further replies.