Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Dear teachers,

I need your help! I've been wondering if a real conditional (the first conditional) clause changes its verb tense in a reported speech sentence.

For example,
Amy said to me, "if you can make it before 6 o'clock, you will be able to see our performance."
Then, I need to tell my co-worker why I left early the day.
Should I say
A) I had to leave early because my friend Amy told (or had told) me if I can make it before 6 o'clock, I will be able to see their performance.
or
b) I had to leave early because my friend Amy told (or had told) me if I could make it before 6 o'clock, I would be able to see their performance.
?

Kitty

Tullia

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Dear teachers,

I need your help! I've been wondering if a real conditional (the first conditional) clause changes its verb tense in a reported speech sentence.

For example,
Amy said to me, "if you can make it before 6 o'clock, you will be able to see our performance."
Then, I need to tell my co-worker why I left early the day.
Should I say
A) I had to leave early because my friend Amy told (or had told) me if I can make it before 6 o'clock, I will be able to see their performance.
or
b) I had to leave early because my friend Amy told (or had told) me if I could make it before 6 o'clock, I would be able to see their performance.
?

Kitty

The tense of the reported speech changes depending on the tense of the main verb in the sentence.

Amy (has) told me that if I can..., I will be able to... .
Amy (had) told me that if I could...., I would be able to... .

You would use the first if the possibility was still open; i.e. you hadn't made yet it before 6 o'clock but you still had time to do so!

You would use the second if the possibility is further in the past and now closed i.e. it is after 6 o'clock - it doesn't matter if you did or didn't make it in time!

hellokitty

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Tullia, thank you so much for the explanation!
Can I ask one more question?
Which is correct?
A) When I started learning English, I thought if I live in the U.K., I can speak English fluently.
B) When I started learning English, I thought if I lived in the U.K., I could speak English fluently.
It's still possible for me to live in the U.K., but it doesn't matter because now I know just living there doesn't automatically make me speak English fluently. I also wonder if B) sounds like unreal (the second) conditional.

Status
Not open for further replies.