• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt

then

An intelligence agent is talking via radio to his boss. The agent was getting some information from another agent whom they thought betrayed them.

The boss says: What’s your tactical assessment?
    The agent :Considering the situation, then I think our best bet is to keep Agent Raimes in the field.

I can't get what "then" does here? The boss asked "what's your assessment" then, as I understood the agent replied "Well, I will consider the situation and see what we 'll do with Raims"!!!

I can't get how he made the call to keep Raimes in the field but said that he'll consider the situation.

it's as if somebody hit me or hurt me and then when I asked what is my assessment (or , as I understood, what I see) I reply, "Well, I will consider the situation and then I think the best thing to do is to hit them back" So I already made the call, then what situation i will consider, I can't get that.

Thanks a lot.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Re: then

Quote Originally Posted by maiabulela View Post
    An intelligence agent is talking via radio to his boss. The agent was getting some information from another agent whom they thought betrayed them.

The boss says: What’s your tactical assessment?
    The agent :Considering the situation, then I think our best bet is to keep Agent Raimes in the field.

I can't get what "then" does here?
    You're right. "Then" doesn't belong.

The boss asked "what's your assessment" then, as I understood the agent replied "Well, I will consider the situation and see what we 'll do with Raims"!!!
    I can't get how he made the call to keep Raimes in the field but said that he'll consider the situation.
    No, that's not the meaning. "Considering the situation ..." means "Having considered the situation ..." or, more closely, "Now that I am considering the situation, I am deciding that ..." So the consideration, and the decision, are being made in the present (or in the immediate past just prior to stating it).

it's as if somebody hit me or hurt me and then when I asked what is my assessment (or , as I understood, what I see) I reply, "Well, I will consider the situation and then I think the best thing to do is to hit them back" So I already made the call, then what situation i will consider, I can't get that.

Thanks a lot.
    R.