Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Canada
I read this sentence in the newspaper:

He was sick and had to take to his bed yesterday.

Can I say:
He was sick and had to stay in bed yesterday

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi, and welcome to Using English.

Not only CAN you say that, it would be more natural to say it that way (in my opinion).

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Can I say:
I agree with Barb! Common usage in the US would be: He was sick and had to stay in bed yesterday. :up:

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thomas615, welcome to the forums! I hope you will be a frequent visitor!

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland

Can I say:
"To take to one's bed" is not exactly the same as "to stay in bed". If you take to your bed, you go to bed. If you stay in bed, you are already in bed and you don't get up.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
That's true and I thought about that after I posted.

Both "He had to go to bed" and "He had to stay in bed" are both more natural than "He had to take to his bed" in current, local usage.

Tullia

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
For some reason, "taking to one's bed" always makes me think of Mrs Bennet from P&P! I would use that phrase to describe what she does on hearing about Lydia running away from Brighton.

I associate it - and we are talking about very subtle shades of meaning here - with a decision or choice to go to bed, possibly justified but also possibly an overreaction. It feels like a dramatic action of some kind, and therefore I would say is more suited to literature. As people have said above, it's certainly not a phrase we would use conversationally, in any case.

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
For some reason, "taking to one's bed" always makes me think of Mrs Bennet from P&P! I would use that phrase to describe what she does on hearing about Lydia running away from Brighton.

I associate it - and we are talking about very subtle shades of meaning here - with a decision or choice to go to bed, possibly justified but also possibly an overreaction. It feels like a dramatic action of some kind, and therefore I would say is more suited to literature. As people have said above, it's certainly not a phrase we would use conversationally, in any case.
I agree with you, Tullia! "Taking to one's bed" has always struck me as being a dramatic action! An individual who is trying to escape/run away from an emotional issue/situation would 'take to bed' rather than just go to bed! When I am ill I will 'go to bed'...when my mother-in-law announces she is coming for a 3 week visit I will 'take to my bed'!!! ;-):cool::lol:

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi, and welcome to Using English.

Not only CAN you say that, it would be more natural to say it that way (in my opinion).

In Br Eng, as bhaisahab says, it's common to say 'took to his bed' (when someone's ill). I don't take to my bed every night; I go to bed. Some people favour 'go to bed', even when they're ill; but a lot of people still 'take to their bed'.

As it's a choice, and as the more modern-sounding version is plain 'go to bed', even regular users of 'go to bed' sometimes use 'take to his bed' sarcastically (of someone who takes his minor indispositions too seriously - 'John's not in today. He has a touch of man-'flu and has taken to his bed again'.)

b

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I keep reading the title as "Take her to bed" (as in, just to keep her from the foggy foggy dew). We seldom hear "take to her bed" here.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I keep reading the title as "Take her to bed" (as in, just to keep her from the foggy foggy dew). We seldom hear "take to her bed" here.
I keep reading it like that too! What does that say about us? In fact, I like it as an expression, I find it has a kind of poetry to it. ;-)

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
"Imaginative" minds think alike I suppose... ;)

philadelphia

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
He was sick and had to take [the direction] to his bed yesterday.

*Not a teacher

I do not mean to make it too easy, however, "take to" sounds like an abbreviation of "take the direction to" -meaning "go to". It would perfectly make sense in this very context to me.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
*Not a teacher

I do not mean to make it too easy, however, "take to" sounds like an abbreviation of "take the direction to" -meaning "go to". It would perfectly make sense in this very context to me.

Hmm :?: Which sort of 'direction'? ('upstairs' or 'doctors orders'?) To me, it's a change of medium - like an aircraft taking to the air, or (a good idiom this) 'he's taken to it like a duck to water' [='it came naturally to him']. (The metaphorical duck does indeed go to the water, but it does more than that: it gets in.)

There's also a meaning of 'take to' that involves the adoption of a habit: 'He's taken to having his breakfast at the same deli every day.'

b

Status
Not open for further replies.