Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Telugu
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
1) There was a guy sitting next to me in the bus. He dozed off and his head kept dropping on my shoulder.
2) There was a guy sitting next to me in the bus. He dozed off and his head kept falling on my shoulder.

Can someone please tell me if the above sentences make sense? They sound a bit awkward to me but I am not sure how I can put it in a better way. Hope you got what I intend to convey with these sentences.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
1) There was a guy sitting next to me in the bus. He dozed off and his head kept dropping on my shoulder.
2) There was a guy sitting next to me in the bus. He dozed off and his head kept falling on my shoulder.

Can someone please tell me if the above sentences make sense? They sound a bit awkward to me but I am not sure how I can put it in a better way. Hope you got what I intend to convey with these sentences.

There was a guy sitting next to me on the bus. He dozed off and his head kept lolling onto my shoulder.

"To loll" is a great verb! It means to flop loosely, exactly the kind of movement that a head makes when someone falls asleep. However, if you don't like that, I would choose "dropping onto" from your two choices.

daemon99

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Telugu
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Thanks a lot, emsr2d2!

How frequently is this word loll used in everyday speech?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thanks a lot, emsr2d2!

How frequently is this word loll used in everyday speech?

Well, I wouldn't say you'd hear it every day but it's not exactly uncommon, certainly not in my part of the world and within my social circle.

His head was lolling from side-to-side when he fell asleep in the car.

Status
Not open for further replies.