[Vocabulary] they decided/determined the threat was a hoax.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jiamajia

Member Type
Student or Learner
After three hours of thorough searching , the police decided that the threat was a hoax.

-------------------------

When I heard the news item, I was thinking 'decided' should have been replaced with 'determined'. Please tell me whether 'decided' is as fine in the context as 'determined'. Thank you.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
After three hours of thorough searching , the police decided that the threat was a hoax.

-------------------------

When I heard the news item, I was thinking 'decided' should have been replaced with 'determined'. Please tell me whether 'decided' is as fine in the context as 'determined'. Thank you.

It depends on what (if anything) they found.

If they searched for three hours and simply found nothing to show that the threat was real, then they probably just "decided" it was a hoax.

If, during their search, they found evidence that it was a hoax, then they would have "determined" that it was a hoax.

It seems to me that they "decided" it was a hoax due to a total lack of evidence of either a threat or a hoax.

jiamajia

Member Type
Student or Learner
It depends on what (if anything) they found.

If they searched for three hours and simply found nothing to show that the threat was real, then they probably just "decided" it was a hoax.

If, during their search, they found evidence that it was a hoax, then they would have "determined" that it was a hoax.

It seems to me that they "decided" it was a hoax due to a total lack of evidence of either a threat or a hoax.

The whole thing was about a Chinese man calling numerous car owners for money by claiming that explosive devices had been planted in their cars. Some owners dialed for SWAT teams to search their vehicles, which resulted in nothing found.

Status
Not open for further replies.