Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Somali
Home Country
Somalia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
1) Jimmy is lifting a full cartoon of toys up the upstairs after nobody bought them.
2) Kathy is posting a letter to her brother after he reached France.
3) A cat is pouncing on a horrible rat while it is running near the garbage.
4) Jane is piling up a sand to make a sandcastle at the beach while her father is bathing.
5) Aunt Molly is powdering her face before she goes to a marriage ceremony.
6) Jimmy is passing a salt to Linda after he ended his needing of it.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
1) Jimmy is [STRIKE]lifting[/STRIKE] carrying/taking a full [STRIKE]cartoon[/STRIKE] carton/box of toys [STRIKE]up the[/STRIKE] upstairs after nobody bought them.

2) Kathy is posting a letter to her brother after he reached France. Correct, although I would prefer "after he arrived in France".

3) A cat is pouncing on a horrible rat while it is running near the garbage. Correct.

4) Jane is piling up [STRIKE]a[/STRIKE] sand to make a sandcastle at the beach while her father is bathing. Correct.

5) Aunt Molly is powdering her face before she goes to a marriage ceremony. Correct.

6) Jimmy is passing [STRIKE]a[/STRIKE] the salt to Linda [STRIKE]after he ended his needing of it.[/STRIKE] now that he no longer needs it.

See above.

Atchan

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Somali
Home Country
Somalia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
Thank you very much, teacher. I have one little question. Can you explain to me why we followed a past simple verb in the second clause although it is a present continuous sentence?

2) Kathy is posting a letter to her brother after he arrived France. Correct

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you very much, teacher. I have one little question. Can you explain to me why we followed a past simple verb in the second clause although it is a present continuous sentence?

2) Kathy is posting a letter to her brother after he arrived France. Correct

Well, you wouldn't use the present continuous following the word "after". So you can't have "...after he is arriving in France".

You used the past simple in your original when you said "reached" - I simply changed it to "arrived in" as I think it sounds more natural.

Atchan

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Somali
Home Country
Somalia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
OK, Thank you.

Status