A hotel, an hotel or an 'otel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Questions?

Member Type
Other
So, which is correct (or both), "a hotel" or "an hotel"?

I say a... before a word beginning with a consonant. I say an... before a word beginning with a vowel. So I say 'a hotel' and pronounce the h in hotel. But so many people say 'an hotel', especially if they're trying to sound posh.

Which is correct? Is 'an hotel' correct only if you don't fully pronounce the h?

~Q

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
This argument has been raging for a while. When I was at school, I was told that the exception to the a/an rule, was that before an "h", you use "an". This, I believe, was something to do with many words which begin with an "h" coming from French, in which the "h" is silent, thereby effectively making the first letter of the word a vowel.

This led to "an hotel" sounding like "an otel". However, a lot of people would use "an" but then also pronounce the "h", ending up with "an hotel" which always sounded wrong to me.

I have heard "an historic building" etc too.

As far as I'm aware, over the years, this usage of "an" has become more and more rare and now sounds very odd when it is used.

For my part, I always say "a hotel", "a historic..." etc.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"An harmonica" is just wrong. ;-)

(Most Americans pronounce the "h" in "hotel," so it's "a hotel.")

Interestingly enough, I would say "a history book" but "an historic event."

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"An harmonica" is just wrong. ;-)

(Most Americans pronounce the "h" in "hotel," so it's "a hotel.")

Interestingly enough, I would say "a history book" but "an historic event."

That is interesting. The only reason I can think of for that is where the stress falls on the next word.

An hi-sto-ric event
A hi-sto-ry

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Actually I'm pretty sure it's just an adequation with the original French une histoire, un historique.... the latter has an article that sounds close enough to 'an' so we kept an historic.... as in the 19th C., all educated people knew French and thought highly of it (in addition to getting half of English vocabulary from it earlier on).

Status
Not open for further replies.