Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Six years ago, I heard from a native speaker on this forum that the use of preposition is one of things that differentiate a native speaker from a non-native speaker. I, for one, am often confused about the different choice of preposition for a given noun. For example, "of" and "to" can both go behind the noun "barometer":

In past elections, Missouri has been a barometer of the rest of the country.
Our sleep pattern is a barometer to our psychological well-being.

I can understand the meaning of the two sentences, but I don't get the different choice of prepostion following "barometer". As a result, when I'm using "barometer", I'm not quite sure what preposition should follow it. Could you explain a little bit about the difference between "a barometer of" and "a barometer to"? Thank you very much.

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I, for one, am often confused about the different choice of preposition for a given noun. For example, "of" and "to" can both go after the noun "barometer":

In past elections, Missouri has been a barometer of the rest of the country.
Our sleep pattern is a barometer to our psychological well-being. I would only use 'of' here.

Could you explain a little bit about the difference between "a barometer of" and "a barometer to"?
'baraometer of' is much more common.

The only example of "barometer to" that I can think of now is something like "It's a barometer to us." That means we consider it to be a barometer of something.
or
"It's a barometer to pay attention to." (= It's a barometer worth paying attention to.)
Thank you very much.

Status
Not open for further replies.