Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
Sri Lanka
Current Location
Spain
Sentence: "Please accept my sincere apologies for not able to reply to you sooner."

Two question: Is there any need of verb "being" before the word able? Will the sentence be correct without it?
icon_smile.gif

Regards and thanks
icon_smile.gif

philadelphia

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
*Not a teacher

You are right, Razer, "being" is needed before "able to", so "Please, accept my sincere apologies for not being able to reply to you sooner". The infinitive form is "to be able to".

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Sentence: "Please accept my sincere apologies for not able to reply to you sooner."

Two question: Is there any need of verb "being" before the word able? Will the sentence be correct without it?
icon_smile.gif

Regards and thanks
icon_smile.gif

You need to add "being" if you want to use "able". The sentence is not correct without it.

Please accept my sincere apologies for not being able to reply to you sooner.

However, you could just say "Please accept my sincere apologies for not replying sooner".

Joe333

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
Sri Lanka
Current Location
Spain

philadelphia

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
However, you could just say "Please accept my sincere apologies for not replying sooner".

I thought of this as well, the meaning is different though. "For not replying sooner" is just a fact, you did not answer in time for example while "for not being able to reply sooner" would imply that you really wanted to reply but you could not.

Joe333

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
Sri Lanka
Current Location
Spain
You need to add "being" if you want to use "able". The sentence is not correct without it.

Please accept my sincere apologies for not being able to reply to you sooner.

Teacher can this be said like this also "I deeply regret I couldn't reply to you promptly?" :)

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.