Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Newbie
    Student or Learner

Future Teacher

Hey teachers,
    I would like an advice on my concern. I have been in Australia for 7 years, I have finished my high school and three years at UNI (B.A), I then applied on the masters of teaching primary. However I was advised by a teacher to not process my masters and think more about such a career. She said that Iím not really good at English and I will not be accepted to work as a teacher with my current level of English. I got really shocked by what she said and didnít believe her, although I know she is right about the fact that Iím not at highest level of English but I can speak and write English to a good extend. I have now commenced my masters, I do strangle with the level of English but Iím really motivated to finish my masters even if I donít get a job after graduation. Iím now working more on my English but honestly donít know how to improve academically. In regards to communication, I donít speak English only three times a week that when I go to UNI, THATS ALL.
    So I want your advice on what I told you and also I really want to know how to improve my English!?
    Also, if you could inform about how you find my English from the above text, I would so much appreciate it J
    Thanx in advance
    JoOory

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: Future Teacher

Quote Originally Posted by JoOory View Post
    Hey teachers,

I would like an some advice on my concern about an issue.

I have been in Australia for 7 years, I have finished
    my high school and completed three years at UNI university (B.A). I then applied on forthe a Masters of inteaching primary Primary Teaching. However, I was advised by a teacher to not to process continue with my application for amy Masters and think more about such a career. She said that I’m not really good at English and I will not be accepted to work as a teacher with my current level of English. I got was really shocked by what she said and didn’t believe her, although I know she is right about the fact that I’m not at the highest level of English but I can speak and write English to a good extend well.

I have now commenced my Masters. I do
    strangle struggle with the level of English but I’m really motivated to finish my Masters even if I don’t get a job after graduation. I’m now working more on my English but honestly don’t know how to improve academically.

In regards to communication, I don’t speak English only three times a week that when I go to UNI, THATS ALL.
    (I'm confused: do you only speak English three times a week, at uni? Or is uni the only time that you don't speak English?)

So I want your advice based on what I've told you and also I really want to know how to improve my English.

Also, if you could inform about let me know how you find my English from the above text, I would so much really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.
    JoOory
    Your English is quite impressive and I have made a few amendments above as requested.

I would have thought that your university professors/tutors would be able to give you guidance on the likelihood of your gaining employment as a Primary School teacher without being a native English speaker. I don't know what the general state of affairs is in Australia with primary school teaching, but it should be fairly easy to find out if your level of English would be sufficient. Can the Department of Education (or whatever you have in Australia) not advise you in this regard?

The only thing it's impossible to tell from these threads is the level of your spoken English. Most people write better than they speak, simply because they have the time to think about what they're writing and, of course, their accent doesn't come through in writing.

3. Newbie
    Student or Learner

Thank you very much for your time.

The teacher actually advised me to change the whole career. But then when I called the department of Education to ask about the English requirements, they said if we have any concern regarding teachers English level, we set a test to find out their English level, so I can do this test when I finish my Masters. I'm going well so far but Iím not sure in the prac time what will happen.

You made a good point there, I do think before I write anything but when I speak its quite different as I communicate without thinking, so I find myself using "mmm" "mmm" a lot.

And thanks for the correction :)

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by JoOory View Post
    Hey teachers,
    I would like an advice on my concern. I have been in Australia for 7 years, I have finished my high school and three years at UNI (B.A), I then applied on the masters of teaching primary. However I was advised by a teacher to not process my masters and think more about such a career. She said that Iím not really good at English and I will not be accepted to work as a teacher with my current level of English. I got really shocked by what she said and didnít believe her, although I know she is right about the fact that Iím not at highest level of English but I can speak and write English to a good extend. I have now commenced my masters, I do strangle with the level of English but Iím really motivated to finish my masters even if I donít get a job after graduation. Iím now working more on my English but honestly donít know how to improve academically. In regards to communication, I donít speak English only three times a week that when I go to UNI, THATS ALL.
    So I want your advice on what I told you and also I really want to know how to improve my English!?
    Also, if you could inform about how you find my English from the above text, I would so much appreciate it J
    Thanx in advance
    JoOory
    Your current level in English is not a decisive point here, but rather your vocation and your willingness to study it hard, develop and enhance your skills. If you are motivated enough nothing can stop you, believe me. But bear in mind that being a non-native English speaker you will always find prejudices and difficulties to transpose. Depending on your personality though, you may turn these prejudices and difficulties to challenges to get through and extract more motivation from them.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

I can't evaluate your english level nor your professional issue itself, but...

As your tutor told you your English is not good enough one thing you have to consider: improve it and give it special attention. Maybe you would consider talking to her/him again and ask for one more year to see how you improve.

If you don't feel that confident on your english level for the job you want now, consider another roadmap for your career, not a tottaly different career but one that will help you to get where you want to. Always look for different opportunities. Good luck.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • France
      • Current Location:
      • France

Sorry, but I do think all the English teachers should be native speakers of English. In France we are taught English by French speakers until we go to Uni, so I personnaly did not learn anything or so. Well, their accents just suck, they have not got a clue about what is currently being used in the English-speaking countries, and their courses and explanations are by far too theoretical.

The native speakers of English are definitely better at all this.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

Quote Originally Posted by philadelphia View Post
    Sorry, but I do think all the English teachers should be native speakers of English. In France we are taught English by French speakers until we go to Uni, so I personnaly did not learn anything or so. Well, their accents just suck, they have not got a clue about what is currently being used in the English-speaking countries, and their courses and explanations are by far too theoretical.

Different situations, you missed the point.

5. Newbie
    Student or Learner

Quote Originally Posted by ymnisky View Post
    Your current level in English is not a decisive point here, but rather your vocation and your willingness to study it hard, develop and enhance your skills. If you are motivated enough nothing can stop you, believe me. But bear in mind that being a non-native English speaker you will always find prejudices and difficulties to transpose. Depending on your personality though, you may turn these prejudices and difficulties to challenges to get through and extract more motivation from them.
    I AM motivated to finish the Masters at least. I remember when I finished the ESL course and decided to go to year 11, some teachers and friends (who were alreay in high school) advised me to reconsider my decision because years 11 and 12 are totally different than ESL. Instead, the teachers advised me to further improve my English by attending advanced English course but I was determined to finish high school. Imagine, the friends who advised me to reconsider my decision actually scored 34, 40 for their UAI (there were not native, but they done their primary schooling in Australia, so their English is excellent), whereas I got 75 and I got the highest mark in my English class, 82. Teachers were really proud of me.

But I think the current issue is different as I will be a teacher so I need to be an English proficient . Anyways I’m still determined to do my Masters even if I don't get a job after graduation.

6. Newbie
    Student or Learner

Quote Originally Posted by anreak View Post
    I can't evaluate your english level nor your professional issue itself, but...

As your tutor told you your English is not good enough one thing you have to consider: improve it and give it special attention. Maybe you would consider talking to her/him again and ask for one more year to see how you improve.

If you don't feel that confident on your english level for the job you want now, consider another roadmap for your career, not a tottaly different career but one that will help you to get where you want to. Always look for different opportunities. Good luck.
    Yeh thatís what I need, IMPROVE MY ENGLISH. But don't know how? Talking with that teacher again would just make me depressed, so I better see how I go with my first semester in Masters and then decide. Good suggestion, I will look for a similar job but not totally different. Thanx

7. Newbie
    Student or Learner

Quote Originally Posted by philadelphia View Post

I will be Primary School Teacher not just a teacher of English. I know what you are talking about because same think applies back in my country, we learn basic English. But I think my issue is different, a teacher in Australia will need to follow the curriculum syllabus in the teaching strategy. But you made good points to put in mind.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast