• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

To do resits or to take more A-levels. What's the difference here?

Dan Taubman, further education policy officer at UCU, said that with between 150,000 and 200,000 students with A-levels set to fail to get a university place, some would turn to apprenticeships and qualifications such as BTec and HNDs, or seek to do resits or more A-levels. They would be eagerly taken on by sixth forms and colleges keen to boost their performance indicators, he predicted, reducing the number of places available to those getting GCSE results.
    GCSE results: university crisis to hit school students, union warns | Education | The Guardian

Here in China, the national university test is held yearly and the subjects, in general, are all the same. I assume that there's a more flexable system in the Uk, in which one only needs certain number of points and is allowed to choose whatever subjects they may want to sit, as long as certain requiremets are met. If so, the difference here is merely a matter of whether these students do the same subject or not. Am I right in saying so?
    Last edited by cubezero3; 24-Aug-2010 at 06:30.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: To do resits or to take more A-levels. What's the difference here?

Quote Originally Posted by cubezero3 View Post
    GCSE results: university crisis to hit school students, union warns | Education | The Guardian

Here in China, the national university test is held yearly and the subjects, in general, are all the same. I assume that there's a more flexable system in the Uk, in which one only needs certain number of points and is allowed to choose whatever subjects they may want to sit, as long as certain requiremets are met. If so, the difference here is merely a matter of whether these students do the same subject or not. Am I right in saying so?
    In the UK, at the age of 16, if you choose to go on to Sixth Form College, you choose three or four subjects that you wish to study and you take the A-level exams at the age of 18. The results of those exams are important because it is those results which determine whether you get a place at university or not.

The exams are taken in May/June and you receive the results in August. If you didn't get the results you had hoped for you can then re-sit your A-levels, taking an exam in some or all of the same subjects, between three and twelve months later, to see if you can improve your results.

If you choose to take more A-levels, then you pick new subjects and start the two-year study again. That's quite unusual because, as far as I know, you can't attend Sixth Form College beyond the age of 18. You can study for A-levels privately at any age, perhaps at evening classes, but you have to pay for the classes and pay to take the exam.

As an example, I took three A-levels at the age of 18 - English, French and Music. I passed them but I didn't get the results I had hoped for, so in October of the same year I re-sat English and French in order to get better results. Obviously, it wasn't the same exam paper!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Re: To do resits or to take more A-levels. What's the difference here?

Thank you so much.

This is very helpful.