Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
The pass rate at GCSE has risen for the 23rd year in a row, with nearly seven in ten entries now attracting a C grade or higher. In all, 69.1 per cent of exam pupils gained a C or above, up a full two percentage points on 2009.

:shock:

Since I saw this from the Times webpage, it must be right. I've never heard that a year can take the preposition in in front of it. Please enlight me on this matter.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:shock:

The pass rate at GCSE has risen for the 23rd year in a row, with nearly seven in ten entries now attracting a C grade or higher. In all, 69.1 per cent of exam pupils gained a C or above, up a full two percentage points on 2009.

Since I saw this from the Times webpage, it must be right. I've never heard that a year can take the preposition in in front of it. Please enlight me on this matter.

In this context it's correct, because the preposition is attached to the word "up".

In 2010, results were up on 2009.

It means that the results in 2010 were higher than the results in 2009. Compared to 2009, the results were better.

You could replace the word "on" with "compared with".

cubezero3

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
In this context it's correct, because the preposition is attached to the word "up".

In 2010, results were up on 2009.

It means that the results in 2010 were higher than the results in 2009. Compared to 2009, the results were better.

You could replace the word "on" with "compared with".

I didn't realise these two prepositions are attached.

Your explanation is both detailed and very useful to me.

Thanks a lot. Emsr2d2.

Status
Not open for further replies.