correct pronunciation of name

Status
Not open for further replies.

AbigailHord

Member Type
Student or Learner
Hello,
We have just had a baby girl and named her Aleida (pronouncing it Ah-lee-da)
However, we are getting a lot of grief from family members who are insiting that teh correct spelling is Aleda.

Can Aleda (a-lee-da) be spelled Aleida and still be pronounced the same way as Aleda (origin, latin)

We do not want it to be pronounced (ah-lay-da)

There are conflicting pronounciations and spellings on the web

Please let us know, as we need to change birth certificate asap to Aleda if Aleida is not the correct spelling for pronunciation we like.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Welcome to the board, Abigail, and congratulations on the birth of your baby daughter, who I am sure is absolutely adorable.

I would not dream of altering her birth certificate (which sounds like it would be an expensive process).

I would tell my relations that that is how her lovely name is going to be spelt and pronounced, and if they don't like it they can go hang.

When Aleida is old enough she will decide for herself how she wants her name to be pronounced.

Rover
x

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Welcome to the board, Abigail, and congratulations on the birth of your baby daughter, who I am sure is absolutely adorable.

I would not dream of altering her birth certificate (which sounds like it would be an expensive process).

I would tell my relations that that is how her lovely name is going to be spelt and pronounced, and if they don't like it they can go hang.

When Aleida is old enough she will decide for herself how she wants her name to be pronounced.

Rover
x
I completely agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.