Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
i can't understand the meanings of phrases: "take its toll from" and "take its toll on".
please help me!!!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Just for info - this is a duplicate thread. I posted a reply on the other version. Can someone amalgamate them please?! Thanks. :-D:-D

kwonpv

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
I'm not familiar with, "take its toll from", but, "take its toll on", is common. A toll is a charge - something that one has to pay. For example, in the US there are some highways that can only be used if you pay a certain amount of money. These are toll highways. If a person works hard in the summer heat, they may become overheated - this is the toll that they pay for working in the heat - the heat takes its toll on the worker.

You could work, "takes its toll from", into a sentence - The grinding mill takes its toll from the farmers. This does not indicate that this phrase is common.

thank you very much:-D
i searched for the phrase "take its toll from" at google. it is really uncommon:)

kwonpv

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Just for info - this is a duplicate thread. I posted a reply on the other version. Can someone amalgamate them please?! Thanks. :-D:-D

it's my error. i'm a newbie so i'm not familiar with this forum. thanks for your help:-D

Status
Not open for further replies.