Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Have you heard an expression, "He has a short fuse"
(Not a teacher)
Hi, there. Yes, I have.
It means one is bad-tempered, easily irritated.

Member Type
Student or Learner
(Not a teacher)
Hi, there. Yes, I have.
It means one is bad-tempered, easily irritated.

Hi. I read your post and i can't figure out something. So..he has a short fuse= easily irritated. If you say about a person that is easily irritated does not that mean that the person is in that specific moment "easily irritated"? I mean i see irritated more like an adjective rather than an adverb..I would probably say.. easily irritating person?:D, which I believe it is not correct because you would have use it..Can I ask why it is not correct with the ing? Or if it is correct, also why?:) Can you please answer my question if you can make head and tails out of my post? If you can also proofread it..it would be great. Many many thx!

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi. I read your post and i can't figure out something. So..he has a short fuse= easily irritated. Nope. 'he has a short fuse= HE IS easily irritated....

If you use an "=" sign, both sides of the equation must be syntactically equivalent. Please.

And excuse me - I have a short fuse. :)

b

Member Type
Student or Learner
If you use an "=" sign, both sides of the equation must be syntactically equivalent. Please.

And excuse me - I have a short fuse. :)

b
Well excuse me..in my languange you can skip some of the pronouns..anyway I do not intend to irritate you:)..Still, you didn't answer to my question..why it's "easily irritatING" incorrect? Maybe it is just a dumb question for you:)..Actually in romanian sounds quiet strange that's why i'm keep bugging you with this one:)..the adverb it is very different from the adjective, though both of them can acompany a verb but adverb suggest something that could happen [in this case the person could become irritated] while the adjective states that the person it is irritated at that moment. Please tell me : english grammar considers "IRRITATED" in this exemple an adverb or an adjective. Bunch of thanks!

Last edited:

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
'Irritated' is an adjective, specifically a past participle (formed from a verb, indicating that something has happened). 'Irritating' is also an adjective, specifically a present participle (formed from a verb, indicating that someone or something is doing something). The irritant is irritating; the sufferer of the irritation is irritated. For example, a fly might be irritating - its buzzing may irritate (active) someone. The person is irritated (passive) by the fly. If you exchange 'irritated' for 'irritating', you change the meaning:
A is irritating B => B is being irritated by A.

b

Member Type
Student or Learner
'Irritated' is an adjective, specifically a past participle (formed from a verb, indicating that something has happened). 'Irritating' is also an adjective, specifically a present participle (formed from a verb, indicating that someone or something is doing something). The irritant is irritating; the sufferer of the irritation is irritated. For example, a fly might be irritating - its buzzing may irritate (active) someone. The person is irritated (passive) by the fly. If you exchange 'irritated' for 'irritating', you change the meaning:
A is irritating B => B is being irritated by A.

b
I guess you don't have ADVERB in english?:-":D Anyway THANK YOU very much! this was really very helpful.Regards

Chicchick

Member Type
English Teacher
I always thought it was to do with bombs (or piles of gunpowder) going off quickly after lighting a short fuse that didn't take long to burn through.

This would relate to someone flaring up in a temper very easily.

Or be quick to 'blow up into a rage'.

I hope that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.