Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Dear teachers,

I know the meaning of the phrase “the daughter of Eve” and the likes of it “a daughter of the horse-leech”. Would you be kind enough to tell me whether the mentioned phrases go into circulation in the contemporary English?

He said it with a little bow, and a face that would have taken the heart to ask favors out of the daughters of the horse-leech.

Thanks for your efforts.

Regards,

V

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I've never heard of either phrase and would have to research their meaning if I were at all interested.

They are certainly not in common circulation in contemporary English.

Rover

Reactions: vil

Tullia

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I suspect that people would find "daughters of Eve" a lot easier to work out, but it's certainly not in common conversational usage, and trying to use it as such would get you a lot of odd looks from people!

I think I came across it first in the Narnia books by C. S. Lewis, and I've seen it in poetry as well, just used to refer to females in general. There is a subset of meaning where it is used to refer to feminists, or women who are militant about equal rights and gender issues; it doesn't seem to be offensive but rather a term some women actively embrace.

There's a beautiful poem by Rossetti with the phrase as a title which I would recommend, it's a lovely work about the nature of mortality and missed opportunities.

The "daughters of the horse-leech" I think I recognise as biblical, though I can't, from memory alone, pinpoint the exact story (and thus the meaning of the phrase if used elsewhere); I would have to look it up. It is, however, certainly not in common everyday usage either.

Reactions: vil
Status
Not open for further replies.