• Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • France

Some help, please

Hello everybody
    I'm asking again

Q: How do I deal with a word that got more than one meaning. For example, I read a text and found a word I don't know its meaning, let's say the verb ''consider'' as an example and then I translated it and found the meaning I want. Also, there are other meanings of the word and they're not in the text so how do I deal with them. Do I have to memorize all of them or just the one I need in the text?

Q: How do I deal with similar words that got the same meaning, let's say (assure, confirm and emphasise) as an example ?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Re: Some help, please

Quote Originally Posted by in use View Post
    Hello everybody
    I'm asking again

Q: How do I deal with a word that got more than one meaning. For example, I read a text and found a word I don't know its meaning, let's say the verb ''consider'' as an example and then I translated it and found the meaning I want. Also, there are other meanings of the word and they're not in the text so how do I deal with them. Do I have to Should I memorize all of them or just the one I need in the text?

I would recommed just learning the word/meaning you're using, but making a note that there are other meanings. But people differ in their methods.

Q: How do I deal with similar words that got the same meaning, let's say (assure, confirm and emphasise) as an example ?
    Again, what do you find easiest? Words like this rarely have the same meaning in all contexts. I think it's best to learn them separately.
    ('Assure' doesn't mean 'emphasise'.)
    R.