Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
United States
I always have a problem when I am trying to use conditional clause in reported speech. Could anybody help me please? I cannot find this in Grammar books.

1. If Clause Type 1.
Mike: If I find her address, I will send her an invitation.
Reported Speech: Mike said that if he found(?) her address, he would(?) send her an invitation.

2. If Clause Type 2.
Mike: If I found her address, I would send her an invitation.
Reported Speech: Mike said that if he had found(?) her address, he would send(?) her an invitation.

3. If Clause Type 3.
Mike: If I had found her address, I would have sent her an invitation.
Reported Speech: Mike said that if he had found(?) her address, he would have sent(?) her an invitation.

Thank you

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I always have a problem when I am trying to use conditional clause in reported speech. Could anybody help me please? I cannot find this in Grammar books.

1. If Clause Type 1.
Mike: If I find her address, I will send her an invitation.
Reported Speech: Mike said that if he [STRIKE]found[/STRIKE] finds her address, he [STRIKE]would[/STRIKE] will send her an invitation.
Incorrect. You don't need to change the tense. Find > finds, and "will" remains the same.

2. If Clause Type 2.
Mike: If I found her address, I would send her an invitation.
Reported Speech: Mike said that if he [STRIKE]had[/STRIKE] found her address, he would send her an invitation.
Incorrect. You don't need "had".

3. If Clause Type 3.
Mike: If I had found her address, I would have sent her an invitation.
Reported Speech: Mike said that if he had found her address, he would have sent her an invitation.
Correct.

Thank you

See above.

Status
Not open for further replies.