Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expressions in bold in the following sentences?

…if I retired I’d be dead and gone inside of two years. (O.Hara’s “A Rage to Live”, book II

Brothers, I can tell you confidently that the patriarch David died and was buried, and his tomb is here to this day. (Bible's "Acts 2:29")

dead and gone = dead and buried = is no more

Thanks for your efforts.

Regards,

V

Plugged

Member Type
Student or Learner
Not a teacher. You're wrong. It was said he was buried as a complement of what was coming next, that is, the specification he was buried in a tomb, which is there to this day.

It just completed the logic of the facts expressed. Would be weird if it said the person died and then jumped out of nowhere to saying he was in a tomb. Saying he was buried fills the gap and makes it easier for the reader to follow.

Reactions: vil

vil

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Hi Plugged,

There is a song of Justin Timberlake with a title “Dead and gone”
The song is about T.I.'s close friend Philant Johnson who was killed on May 3, 2006, when T.I.'s crew was caught up in a shooting after a show in Cincinnati that left three injured and Johnson killed. The lyrics include lines such as: "Who ever thought I'd never see Philant no more," and "Big Phil this is for you." Johnson's tombstone is shown in the video.

Here are a few words of the song in question:

I’ve been traveling on this road too long
Just trying to find my way back home
The old me is dead and gone, dead and gone

No more stress now I'm straight,
Now I get it now I take time to think before I make mistake just for my
family take,
That part of me left yesterday
The heart of me is strong today,
No regrets I'm blessed to say the old me dead and gone away,

In my humble opinion “dead and gone” is vey close to “not extant” and “deseased” or “is no more” or "no longer living"

V.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.