Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Kuwait
Is 'darling' used for a specific kind of love? For sexual love, for example? Can I say darling sister, darling cousin, darling teacher, or such things?
And which one is more impressive, dear or darling? I feel dear is more formal, is it?:?:

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Dear" can be interpreted to me someone very close in a friendly or non-romantic way. Dear sister, dear teacher, dear cousin could all indicate that the person is "dear" to you because they have been very kind or very helpful. "Darling" most often is used in a romantic sense, unless it is a very flamboyant person who addresses everyone as "darling" just as an affectation. (Think of Zsa-Zsa Gabor sweeping into a crowded room and greeting total strangers with "Hello, darling!") Sometimes doting family members will refer to one another with "darling" ("How is my darling granddaughter?"), but that term of endearment would rarely be used to address a teacher or non-family member or non-sweetheart.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
"Dear" can be interpreted to me someone very close in a friendly or non-romantic way. Dear sister, dear teacher, dear cousin could all indicate that the person is "dear" to you because they have been very kind or very helpful. "Darling" most often is used in a romantic sense, unless it is a very flamboyant person who addresses everyone as "darling" just as an affectation. (Think of Zsa-Zsa Gabor sweeping into a crowded room and greeting total strangers with "Hello, darling!") Sometimes doting family members will refer to one another with "darling" ("How is my darling granddaughter?"), but that term of endearment would rarely be used to address a teacher or non-family member or non-sweetheart.
It's quite common in the UK for working class people, particularly shopkeepers or market traders, to call people "darling" or "love".

Status
Not open for further replies.