• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey

Captain Mood Swing

“Sure thing, Lara,” Nick said, smiling that creepy smile again. He rose from the table, and Daisy followed suit. “Oh, yeah,” he added. “Meant to ask if Daisy and I can take Sophie and her friends out tonight.”

I started at that. After what I’d just seen, the last thing I wanted to do was go anywhere with these two.

It was Jenna who spoke first. “So that was creepy as all get-out.”

I shivered. “No lie. Captain Mood Swing totally gives demons a bad name, which is quite an accomplishment.” ??

Re: Captain Mood Swing

I'm not a teacher, but an accomplishment is a success in something aimed. The person is saying that Captain Mood is successful in giving demons a bad name, which is something the Captain aimed to do.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Captain Mood Swing is a slangy way to say that he shows frequent and radical changes in mood -- he's charming and happy one moment, and angry the next. Or perhaps happy one moment, but sad and morose the next.

Are you 100% sure it said that he gives demons a bad name, and not a good name? Demons already have a bad name. If it had said that he gives demons a GOOD name, it would mean he is so bad that they look good in comparison. Since demons are so bad, making them look good would be a difficult thing to achieve, and thus an accomplishment to do so successfully.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

I understand where you're coming from, Barb_D, but you've made a lot of assumptions, while I simply explained what accomplishment means in other terms and put it in context.

Had the context been longer, we'd be able to see which one of us is right. Obviously I'm not 100% sure. :)

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Given the OP's previous posts, which have been excerpts from something that appears to be a vampire-style story, maybe it's meant to be sarcastic. If you're a vampire or another demon, you would probably think that demons are pretty cool, in which case giving them a bad name would be a bad thing!

Or perhaps "Captain Mood Swing" sometimes has good moods, which would also be a bad thing for a demon.

Guesswork on my part too, though!