• Native Language:
      • Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam

Why was your Biggest Traffic day ?

What does it mean ?
    I understand it as "Why was it ?" and "it" here stands for "your Biggest Traffic day", but I don't understand the question "Why was it ?" well. Please review my thoughts : I think it can be used like when someone chose a choice and another one don't like that choice and may ask "Why was it ? ".
    Could you please express it in another way or place it in a concrete context such as a dialogue to help me understand?

Thank you so much !

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: Why was your Biggest Traffic day ?

Quote Originally Posted by crazYgeeK View Post
    What does it mean ?
    I understand it as "Why was it ?" and "it" here stands for "your Biggest Traffic day", but I don't understand the question "Why was it ?" well. Please review my thoughts : I think it can be used like when someone chose a choice and another one don't like that choice and may ask "Why was it ? ".
    Could you please express it in another way or place it in a concrete context such as a dialogue to help me understand?

Thank you so much !
    I'm a a little confused as the word "it" doesn't appear in the title line, or is that your query?! Anyway, I have assumed that the sentence should be "Why was it your biggest traffic day?"

In context, it could make sense. I don't know if it was talking about internet traffic or traffic on the roads, but either would be possible.

Let's say it was internet traffic. Someone has a website and has collected the data on how many people visited the site on any given day. He/she might say to a friend "Wow, on Saturday, over 50,000 people visited my site. It was my biggest traffic day [ever]". The friend could say "Why was it your biggest traffic day? Had you revamped the site? Did you have some special offers?" In this context, "it" would refer to Saturday.

The same goes for traffic on the roads. London City Council may count the number of cars on the road each day. One day could have more cars than any other day this year. 'A council spokesman said that Friday was the biggest (should be heaviest) traffic day. A reported asked "Why was it your biggest traffic day?" The spokesman replied "It was the first day of the Notting Hill Carnival, that's why." ' In this context, "it" would refer to Friday.

Does that help? Or was your question simply "Why is the word "it" missing from the sentence?"!!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    I'm a a little confused as the word "it" doesn't appear in the title line, or is that your query?! Anyway, I have assumed that the sentence should be "Why was it your biggest traffic day?"

In context, it could make sense. I don't know if it was talking about internet traffic or traffic on the roads, but either would be possible.

Let's say it was internet traffic. Someone has a website and has collected the data on how many people visited the site on any given day. He/she might say to a friend "Wow, on Saturday, over 50,000 people visited my site. It was my biggest traffic day [ever]". The friend could say "Why was it your biggest traffic day? Had you revamped the site? Did you have some special offers?" In this context, "it" would refer to Saturday.

The same goes for traffic on the roads. London City Council may count the number of cars on the road each day. One day could have more cars than any other day this year. 'A council spokesman said that Friday was the biggest (should be heaviest) traffic day. A reported asked "Why was it your biggest traffic day?" The spokesman replied "It was the first day of the Notting Hill Carnival, that's why." ' In this context, "it" would refer to Friday.

Does that help? Or was your question simply "Why is the word "it" missing from the sentence?"!!
    Yes, I can undersand that sentence if it adds with the word "it" as you posted. Is the sentence in my OP grammatically correct ? The "traffic" in my sentence refers to the number of people visiting a website.
    Thank you so much !

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by crazYgeeK View Post
    Yes, I can undersand that sentence if it adds with the word "it" as you posted. Is the sentence in my OP grammatically correct ? The "traffic" in my sentence refers to the number of people visiting a website.
    Thank you so much !
    The actual sentence you first posted, without "it" referring back to a previously mentioned day, isn't grammatically correct, no.

What was your heaviest traffic day?
    Why was it your heaviest traffic day?
    What was the reason for your heaviest traffic day?

Note: I would use "heaviest", not "biggest".