Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expression in bold in the following sentence?

She’s all alone in London, with a red-haired impressionist girl, who probably has the digestion of an ostrich as most red-haired people have

the digestion of an ostrich = omnivorous stomach

Thanks for your efforts.

Regards,

V

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expression in bold in the following sentence?

She’s all alone in London, with a red-haired impressionist girl, who probably has the digestion of an ostrich as most red-haired people have

the digestion of an ostrich = omnivorous stomach No, it means that she can eat 'anything' and her stomach won't bother her.

"The digestion of an ostrich… Sometimes ostriches swallow little stones or rocks. They do that on purpose. These stones and rocks serve as molar teeth. ...
www.ostrichfarm.net/english/zes.html - Cached "

By 'anything', I don't mean things like rocks. I mean she can eat and drink all sort of strong/spicy/odd-smelling/odd-tasting things without having any stomach trouble.

V

Last edited:
Reactions: vil

vil

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Hi 2006,

I agree 100% with your arguments about the interpretation of the phrase in question..

May I make a second suggestion, namely “a cast-iron stomach/throat”?;-)

Thank you for your kindness.

Regards,

V.

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada