Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. beachboy's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

    • Join Date: Jan 2008
    • Posts: 844
    #1

    when x while

    1 She arrived WHILE/WHEN I was having breakfast
    2 I was having breakfast WHEN (not while) she arrived
    3 I was having breakfast WHILE (not when) Bill was sleeping
    Is my understanding of the use of WHILE/WHEN right?

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2009
    • Posts: 3,505
    #2

    Re: when x while

    Quote Originally Posted by beachboy View Post
    1 She arrived WHILE/WHEN I was having breakfast
    2 I was having breakfast WHEN (not while) she arrived
    3 I was having breakfast WHILE (not when) Bill was sleeping
    Is my understanding of the use of WHILE/WHEN right?
    Yes.


    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 26
    #3

    Re: when x while

    could you please explain rules of using of "when" and "while

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Dec 2009
    • Posts: 6,332
    #4

    Re: when x while

    Quote Originally Posted by basaksucan View Post
    could you please explain rules of using of "when" and "while

    NOT A TEACHER

    When = shorter actions.

    While = longer actions.

    I was riding my bike when I fell down.
    I fell down while I was riding my bike.

    Explanation: the shorter action (fell down) interrupted the longer action

    (was riding).

    I was reading when the telephone rang.
    The telephone rang while I was reading.

    Explanation: the telephone ringing is the shorter action.

    Source: British Council -- English Online, "When and While."

  2. Newbie
    Student or Learner

    • Join Date: Aug 2010
    • Posts: 1
    #5

    Re: when x while

    Quote Originally Posted by beachboy View Post
    1 She arrived WHILE/WHEN I was having breakfast
    2 I was having breakfast WHEN (not while) she arrived
    3 I was having breakfast WHILE (not when) Bill was sleeping
    Is my understanding of the use of WHILE/WHEN right?
    Yes, I guess it's ok.
    Regards from B.A.-Argentina.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: May 2009
    • Posts: 337
    #6

    Re: when x while

    Quote Originally Posted by TheParser View Post
    NOT A TEACHER

    When = shorter actions.

    While = longer actions.

    I was riding my bike when I fell down.
    I fell down while I was riding my bike.

    Explanation: the shorter action (fell down) interrupted the longer action

    (was riding).

    I was reading when the telephone rang.
    The telephone rang while I was reading.

    Explanation: the telephone ringing is the shorter action.

    Source: British Council -- English Online, "When and While."
    Hello, TheParser.

    It seems like many people don't follow this rule anymore. Espceially, I've read on many occasions that people simply follow when with a longer action. Although I've rarely seen cases vice versa.

    I am not a native speaker. Could you please tell me whether this is a general trend or not?

    Thanks

    Richard

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Dec 2009
    • Posts: 6,332
    #7

    Re: when x while

    Quote Originally Posted by cubezero3 View Post
    Hello, TheParser.

    It seems like many people don't follow this rule anymore. Espceially, I've read on many occasions that people simply follow when with a longer action. Although I've rarely seen cases vice versa.

    I am not a native speaker. Could you please tell me whether this is a general trend or not?

    Thanks

    Richard
    Hello, Richard.

    Thank you for your note.

    I am not qualified to tell you whether or not people follow

    this rule.

    Hopefully, one of the practicing teachers or writers will clarify this

    matter for us.

    Thank you

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •