Results 1 to 9 of 9

    • Join Date: Aug 2010
    • Posts: 5
    #1

    She grew up ON a ranch? or IN a ranch?

    Hello.

    I have a question. Yesterday I made a quiz for my English students.

    In the quiz, I wrote the following sentence:

    "She grew up on a ranch."

    When I was grading the quiz, I found a comment made by one of my students, which said: "it is IN, instead of ON" (She grew up IN a ranch).

    I've been searching, and I can't seem to find an answer for this. I googled it, and in most cases, they use ON a ranch for that kind of sentence, but for some other cases, they use IN. So I don't know the difference between them.

    I hope you can answer me, so I can give a good explanation to my student when she asks me why is it ON, not IN.

    Thanks!

  1. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,590
    #2

    Re: She grew up ON a ranch? or IN a ranch?

    Quote Originally Posted by dianaub View Post
    Hello.

    I have a question. Yesterday I made a quiz for my English students.

    In the quiz, I wrote the following sentence:

    "She grew up on a ranch."

    When I was grading the quiz, I found a comment made by one of my students, which said: "it is IN, instead of ON" (She grew up IN a ranch).

    I've been searching, and I can't seem to find an answer for this. I googled it, and in most cases, they use ON a ranch for that kind of sentence, but for some other cases, they use IN. So I don't know the difference between them.

    I hope you can answer me, so I can give a good explanation to my student when she asks me why is it ON, not IN.

    Thanks!
    In English we say on a ranch or farm. I don't speak Spanish but in French it's "dans" (in) a farm.


    • Join Date: Aug 2010
    • Posts: 5
    #3

    Re: She grew up ON a ranch? or IN a ranch?

    Thanks for your reply

    I know it's ON a ranch, but do you know WHY? I mean, why is it ON a ranch instead of IN a ranch? Is there a reason?

    Thanks!

  2. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,590
    #4

    Re: She grew up ON a ranch? or IN a ranch?

    Quote Originally Posted by dianaub View Post
    Thanks for your reply

    I know it's ON a ranch, but do you know WHY? I mean, why is it ON a ranch instead of IN a ranch? Is there a reason?

    Thanks!
    I don't think there is any reason other than, that's the way we say it.

  3. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,805
    #5

    Re: She grew up ON a ranch? or IN a ranch?

    My only suggestion is that it's not physically possible to live "in" a ranch. It's a vast area of land, incorporating various buildings and fields and animals etc.

    You live in a house/flat/palace/mansion/hovel - these are all single buildings that you physically live inside.

    But you live on a farm/ranch/housing estate/council estate - these are all areas which have more than one building. You can't physically be inside any of them.

  4. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,590
    #6

    Re: She grew up ON a ranch? or IN a ranch?

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post

    But you live on a farm/ranch/housing estate/council estate - these are all areas which have more than one building. You can't physically be inside any of them.
    Apparently French and Spanish speakers can.

  5. riquecohen's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

    • Join Date: Aug 2010
    • Posts: 6,002
    #7

    Re: She grew up ON a ranch? or IN a ranch?

    Prepositions are difficult and there are no rules. The student will have to learn them through usage. We say "IN the car," and "ON the bus, train, etc."

  6. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,805
    #8

    Re: She grew up ON a ranch? or IN a ranch?

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    Apparently French and Spanish speakers can.
    That's true. Still, I would never claim that prepositions make sense in any language!


    • Join Date: Aug 2010
    • Posts: 5
    #9

    Re: She grew up ON a ranch? or IN a ranch?

    Thanks a lot, everyone!!

    This was very helpful :)

Similar Threads

  1. grew or grow
    By MsNyree in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-Sep-2009, 03:20
  2. ranch
    By GUEST2008 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-Jun-2009, 17:09
  3. Jenna Bush's wedding is low-key affair at ranch
    By sky753 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-May-2008, 03:58
  4. grew out of/derived from/resulted from
    By angliholic in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 28-Mar-2008, 05:19
  5. grew out of childhood/childishness
    By kohyoongliat in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 13-May-2007, 11:10

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •