She grew up ON a ranch? or IN a ranch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dianaub

Member Type
English Teacher
Hello.

I have a question. Yesterday I made a quiz for my English students.

In the quiz, I wrote the following sentence:

"She grew up on a ranch."

When I was grading the quiz, I found a comment made by one of my students, which said: "it is IN, instead of ON" (She grew up IN a ranch).

I've been searching, and I can't seem to find an answer for this. I googled it, and in most cases, they use ON a ranch for that kind of sentence, but for some other cases, they use IN. So I don't know the difference between them.

I hope you can answer me, so I can give a good explanation to my student when she asks me why is it ON, not IN.

Thanks!

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Hello.

I have a question. Yesterday I made a quiz for my English students.

In the quiz, I wrote the following sentence:

"She grew up on a ranch."

When I was grading the quiz, I found a comment made by one of my students, which said: "it is IN, instead of ON" (She grew up IN a ranch).

I've been searching, and I can't seem to find an answer for this. I googled it, and in most cases, they use ON a ranch for that kind of sentence, but for some other cases, they use IN. So I don't know the difference between them.

I hope you can answer me, so I can give a good explanation to my student when she asks me why is it ON, not IN.

Thanks!
In English we say on a ranch or farm. I don't speak Spanish but in French it's "dans" (in) a farm.

dianaub

Member Type
English Teacher
Thanks for your reply :)

I know it's ON a ranch, but do you know WHY? I mean, why is it ON a ranch instead of IN a ranch? Is there a reason?

Thanks!

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Thanks for your reply :)

I know it's ON a ranch, but do you know WHY? I mean, why is it ON a ranch instead of IN a ranch? Is there a reason?

Thanks!
I don't think there is any reason other than, that's the way we say it.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
My only suggestion is that it's not physically possible to live "in" a ranch. It's a vast area of land, incorporating various buildings and fields and animals etc.

You live in a house/flat/palace/mansion/hovel - these are all single buildings that you physically live inside.

But you live on a farm/ranch/housing estate/council estate - these are all areas which have more than one building. You can't physically be inside any of them.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
But you live on a farm/ranch/housing estate/council estate - these are all areas which have more than one building. You can't physically be inside any of them.
Apparently French and Spanish speakers can.;-)

riquecohen

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil
Prepositions are difficult and there are no rules. The student will have to learn them through usage. We say "IN the car," and "ON the bus, train, etc."

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Apparently French and Spanish speakers can.;-)

That's true. Still, I would never claim that prepositions make sense in any language!

Status
Not open for further replies.