Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. Newbie
    Student or Learner

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 9
    #1

    Question Active to Passive Voice

    Please have a look at the following sentences which are all in passive voice (the corresponding active sentences are in brackets):

    1. The tree was struck by lightning. (Lightning struck the tree.)

    2. I had been told a lie by him. (He had told me a lie.)

    3. A factory will be set up by the government. (The government will set up a factory.)

    4. A house had been built by Peter. (Peter had built a house.)

    5. A house has been built by Peter. (Peter has built a house.)

    Are the underlined words (in the passive sentences) the past participles of the corresponding bold words (in the active sentences)? For e.g. had told in the second example (in the active sentence) has changed to had been told (in the passive sentence). Is had been told the past participle of had told?

    Similarly will set up in the third example (in the active sentence) has changed to will be set up (in the passive sentence). Is will be set up the past participle of will set up?

    If not, then what are they?

    Thanks,

    Ron

  2. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,091
    #2

    Re: Active to Passive Voice

    Quote Originally Posted by rn5a View Post
    Please have a look at the following sentences which are all in passive voice (the corresponding active sentences are in brackets):

    1. The tree was struck by lightning. (Lightning struck the tree.)

    2. I had been told a lie by him. (He had told me a lie.)

    3. A factory will be set up by the government. (The government will set up a factory.)

    4. A house had been built by Peter. (Peter had built a house.)

    5. A house has been built by Peter. (Peter has built a house.)

    Are the underlined words (in the passive sentences) the past participles of the corresponding bold words (in the active sentences)? For e.g. had told in the second example (in the active sentence) has changed to had been told (in the passive sentence). Is had been told the past participle of had told?

    Similarly will set up in the third example (in the active sentence) has changed to will be set up (in the passive sentence). Is will be set up the past participle of will set up?

    If not, then what are they?

    Thanks,

    Ron
    No, I think you have the concept wrong.
    The past participle is one word, except for phrasal verbs. The past particples in the above sentences are: 1. struck, 2. told, 3. set up, 4. built, 5. built.
    If you write a sentence in any of the perfect tenses, both the active and the passive voice will use the past participle.

    Here are some sentences in the simple tenses: Active / Passive
    1. The teacher gives me a book. / I am given a book by the teacher.
    2. The teacher gave me a book. / I was given a book by the teacher him.
    3. The teacher will give me a book. / I will be given a book by the teacher.
    ('Given' is the past participle of 'give')
    give/gave/given - present tense, past tense, past patrticiple

    The reason you ended up with same form in your simple tense sentences 1. and 3. is that you chose verbs that have the same form:
    strike/struck/struck; set/set/set

  3. Newbie
    Student or Learner

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 9
    #3

    Re: Active to Passive Voice

    Thanks mate for your response. Then what are had been (in had been told), will be (in will be set up), had been (in had been built) & has been (in has been built)?

    Thanks,

    Ron

  4. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,091
    #4

    Re: Active to Passive Voice

    Quote Originally Posted by rn5a View Post
    Thanks mate for your response. Then what are had been (in had been told), will be (in will be set up), had been (in had been built) & has been (in has been built)?

    Thanks,

    Ron
    They are compound verb forms. Many verb forms in English use an auxiliary verb plus a main verb.
    had been = past tense of 'have' + past participle of 'be'.
    will be = future indicator 'will' + infinitive of 'be'.
    etc.

  5. Newbie
    Student or Learner

    • Join Date: Sep 2010
    • Posts: 9
    #5

    Re: Active to Passive Voice

    Ok....I got it....thanks a lot buddy. Can you tell me what will be the passive voice of this sentence?

    Peter will be building a house.

    Thanks,

    Ron

  6. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,091
    #6

    Re: Active to Passive Voice

    Quote Originally Posted by rn5a View Post
    Ok....I got it....thanks a lot buddy. Can you tell me what will be the passive voice of this sentence?

    Peter will be building a house.

    Thanks,

    Ron
    A house will be being built by Peter.
    Sometimes we don't use the passive. This is an example of where using the passive would be very rare.

Similar Threads

  1. [Grammar] Active voice to passive voice paragraph translation
    By shruticool53 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-Jan-2010, 22:51
  2. [Grammar] active voice vs passive voice problem
    By carelessman in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-Sep-2009, 18:25
  3. [Grammar] active passive voice
    By ags732 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 18-May-2009, 16:12
  4. [Grammar] changing an active voice sentence into passive voice
    By yashu in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-Mar-2009, 07:39
  5. [Grammar] A problem when changing the active voice into passive voice
    By imme9x in forum Frequently Asked Questions
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 16-Dec-2008, 10:21

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •