[Grammar] Active to Passive Voice

Status
Not open for further replies.

rn5a

Member Type
Student or Learner
Please have a look at the following sentences which are all in passive voice (the corresponding active sentences are in brackets):

1. The tree was struck by lightning. (Lightning struck the tree.)

2. I had been told a lie by him. (He had told me a lie.)

3. A factory will be set up by the government. (The government will set up a factory.)

4. A house had been built by Peter. (Peter had built a house.)

5. A house has been built by Peter. (Peter has built a house.)

Are the underlined words (in the passive sentences) the past participles of the corresponding bold words (in the active sentences)? For e.g. had told in the second example (in the active sentence) has changed to had been told (in the passive sentence). Is had been told the past participle of had told?

Similarly will set up in the third example (in the active sentence) has changed to will be set up (in the passive sentence). Is will be set up the past participle of will set up?

If not, then what are they?

Thanks,

Ron

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Please have a look at the following sentences which are all in passive voice (the corresponding active sentences are in brackets):

1. The tree was struck by lightning. (Lightning struck the tree.)

2. I had been told a lie by him. (He had told me a lie.)

3. A factory will be set up by the government. (The government will set up a factory.)

4. A house had been built by Peter. (Peter had built a house.)

5. A house has been built by Peter. (Peter has built a house.)

Are the underlined words (in the passive sentences) the past participles of the corresponding bold words (in the active sentences)? For e.g. had told in the second example (in the active sentence) has changed to had been told (in the passive sentence). Is had been told the past participle of had told?

Similarly will set up in the third example (in the active sentence) has changed to will be set up (in the passive sentence). Is will be set up the past participle of will set up?

If not, then what are they?

Thanks,

Ron
No, I think you have the concept wrong.
The past participle is one word, except for phrasal verbs. The past particples in the above sentences are: 1. struck, 2. told, 3. set up, 4. built, 5. built.
If you write a sentence in any of the perfect tenses, both the active and the passive voice will use the past participle.

Here are some sentences in the simple tenses: Active / Passive
1. The teacher gives me a book. / I am given a book by the teacher.
2. The teacher gave me a book. / I was given a book by the teacher him.
3. The teacher will give me a book. / I will be given a book by the teacher.
('Given' is the past participle of 'give')
give/gave/given - present tense, past tense, past patrticiple

The reason you ended up with same form in your simple tense sentences 1. and 3. is that you chose verbs that have the same form:
strike/struck/struck; set/set/set

rn5a

Member Type
Student or Learner
Thanks mate for your response. Then what are had been (in had been told), will be (in will be set up), had been (in had been built) & has been (in has been built)?

Thanks,

Ron

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Thanks mate for your response. Then what are had been (in had been told), will be (in will be set up), had been (in had been built) & has been (in has been built)?

Thanks,

Ron
They are compound verb forms. Many verb forms in English use an auxiliary verb plus a main verb.
had been = past tense of 'have' + past participle of 'be'.
will be = future indicator 'will' + infinitive of 'be'.
etc.

rn5a

Member Type
Student or Learner
Ok....I got it....thanks a lot buddy. Can you tell me what will be the passive voice of this sentence?

Peter will be building a house.

Thanks,

Ron

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Ok....I got it....thanks a lot buddy. Can you tell me what will be the passive voice of this sentence?

Peter will be building a house.

Thanks,

Ron
A house will be being built by Peter.
Sometimes we don't use the passive. This is an example of where using the passive would be very rare.

Status
Not open for further replies.