Smile what skill you want to gain?

I would like to learn how to play chess and being a chess player. I spent some weeks on learning it,with a guide book. I think it is very good for remaining our brain fresh and prepare us how to facing our real problems in social life. It teaches us how to manage our problems and how to decide to solve them by considering all aspect of them. Another its advantages, is its small size that can carry it even in a pick nick day in outside.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey

Re: what skill you want to gain?

***Neither a teacher nor a native-speaker.***

Quote Originally Posted by Mina.Gh View Post
    I would like to learn how to play chess and being a chess player. I spent some weeks on learning it,(after a comma put a space) with a guide book. I think, it is very good for remaining keeping (if you keep something in a state, it stays or remains that way) our brain fresh and (it) prepares us how to facinge our real problems in social life. It teaches us how to manage (and solve) our problems and how to decide to solve them by considering all aspect of them. Its another advantages , is its small size. that can It helps one carry it even in a pick(no space)nick days (It is picnic unless you are not talking about an activity that people pick nicks )( in outside.( I haven't heard of a concept called indoors picnic)
    In your sentence you talk about what you'd like to learn but in the second one switch to past tense. You should keep them synchronised.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

I would like to learn how to play chess and being become a chess player. I spent some a few/several weeks on learning ithow to play,with usingan guide book an instruction book.

I think it is very good for
    remaining keeping our brains fresh and it helps us prepare us how to facing face our real problems in our social life.

It teaches us how to manage our problems and how
    to decide to solve them by considering all aspects of them. Another of its advantages (no comma) is its small size that so it can be carried easily, it even in to a pick nick picnic.day in outside.
    See above.

Quote Originally Posted by euncu View Post
    ***Neither a teacher nor a native-speaker.***

In your sentence you talk about what you'd like to learn but in the second one switch to past tense. You should keep them synchronised.
    Thank you so much
    Now I cant play chess, because of that I said I would like, but I tried to learn it before, because of that I switched to the past time!
    I cant undrestand your last 2 snetences!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey

Now I cant play chess, because of that I said I would like, but I tried to learn it before, because of that I switched to the past time!
    I cant undrestand your last 2 snetences!
    Although, I think that using the past perfect tense (had tried) would make it clear (not sure, though), rephrasing the beginning of your sentence would be much more better to prevent any confusion. I guess something like this will do;

I wanted to learn how to play chess and become a chess player, and, actually I spent some weeks on learning...
    Last edited by euncu; 07-Sep-2010 at 17:00.