Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
However, automating manufacturing processes has also reduced the number of jobs [which / in which] workers can earn a decent living.
"in which"

Atchan

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Somali
Home Country
Somalia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
One of the teachers in this forum gave me a link about this subject, but I lost it. It was in bbcnews.com – can anyone give me that link again. I looked for the link in bbcnews.com, but I didn’t get anything.

Nightmare85

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
***Neither a teacher nor a native speaker.***

Then.. why not 'which"?

I think it's because of "in the jobs".

Cheers!

euncu

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Can there be any possibility that "by/through which" are also correct?

Pedroski

Member Type
Other
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
China
However, automating manufacturing processes has also reduced the number of jobs [which / in which] workers can earn a decent living.

If you put: 'jobs [which] workers can earn a decent living.' we read 'which' as a relative pronoun for 'jobs' and an interrogative determiner for 'workers'. This is a clash, as it can't be both at the same time, and renders the clause ungrammatical.

In English it is common to use 'in' when talking about jobs:

Are you in work at the mo? Are you in employment? Which job are you in? In what profession are you?

'in which (jobs) workers can earn a decent living.' I tihink this is an adjective (although it looks a lot like an adverbial to me!) describing 'jobs', because you could replace it with 'available', which cannot be an adverb. However ,I wouldn't like to rule out the possibility that it is the adverbial that answers the question: Reduced the number of jobs where? Answer: in which workers can earn a decent living.

It can't really be both at the same time, can it?

*by which workers can earn a decent living. Don't like this for the reasons stated above: in a job.
*through which workers can earn a decent living. Ditto.

Status
Not open for further replies.